Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
harbous
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Engine breathing

Post by harbous »

I know this has been discussed before but just checking!
1098 cc engine
Current arrangements : 1. Non vented cap on rocker. 2. Air filter to rocker. 3. Crankcase VIA can’ to carb.

Question. Would it be better to put on vented cap to rocker and dispense with tube to rocker from air filter ( thus air filter would last longer). I have another rocker cover without pipe outlet.

Any thoughts welcome!

Steve.[
attachment=0]337D6C24-E651-46EF-A56B-4B376A0BC719.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
337D6C24-E651-46EF-A56B-4B376A0BC719.jpeg
337D6C24-E651-46EF-A56B-4B376A0BC719.jpeg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 1457 times
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Engine breathing

Post by Monty-4 »

I agree that the air filter may last longer with the alternative setup you suggest, but then vented caps do need cleaning occasionally too! The plastic type can be rinsed with petrol as can the metal ones, although I've found the quality of the rubber seal on the inside of the latter to be poor.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Monty,
Buy an offcut of "Viton" on Fleabay and make your own rubber seals-that's what I do.
Easy to do with a compass cutter
https://picclick.co.uk/Rotary-Compass-C ... 03192.html

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Steve
You appear to have duplicate breathing systems - that is from the oil separator to the carb and the rocker cover to the air cleaner.
Only one of the breathing systems should be fitted.
I would suggest that the breather from the 'can' to the carb is the one that should be fitted to your engine. The rocker cover breather pipe discarded and the rocker cover replaced with non breather type cover with the appropriate filler cap.

harbous
Minor Friendly

Post by harbous »

philthehill wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:50 pm Steve
You appear to have duplicate breathing systems - that is from the oil separator to the carb and the rocker cover to the air cleaner.
Only one of the breathing systems should be fitted.
I would suggest that the breather from the 'can' to the carb is the one that should be fitted to your engine. The rocker cover breather pipe discarded and the rocker cover replaced with non breather type cover with the appropriate filler cap.
That’s what I thought! If I do as suggested can you see any problem with leaving the air filter ‘open’ or would it be essential to blank it off? (After all air is still being drawn in)..
harbous
Minor Friendly

Post by harbous »

Monty-4 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:54 pm I agree that the air filter may last longer with the alternative setup you suggest, but then vented caps do need cleaning occasionally too! The plastic type can be rinsed with petrol as can the metal ones, although I've found the quality of the rubber seal on the inside of the latter to be poor.
Thanks for info!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If the car is running ok I would leave well alone but if you want it right and a non oil encrusted air filter element ditch the pipe between the rocker cover and air cleaner or at least block the pipe between the two.
The breather oil filer cap is not expensive and should (as stated on the cap) be replaced every 12000 miles.

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/engine ... 03-p830482

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

Carb top picture.JPG
Carb top picture.JPG (40 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
would this work?
harbous
Minor Friendly

Post by harbous »

Thanks- yes that’s basically now how I have it - in fact you can see from my original photo I already had one breather tube going from the can to the carb, it the problem was this was being duplicated by one from rocker to air filter! All now resolved as it was originally intended!