Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MOGGIEMOS1@
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Ignition timing

Post by MOGGIEMOS1@ »

HI guys this is my first ever post...I'm a new moggie owner after my son bought me a 1970 1098 4 door for my 60th birthday and I absolutely love it....my question is how do I set the ignition timing from under the car as the view of the timing marks are partially obscured I don't have access to a ramp..forgive my naiveness if the answer is too obvious....I had loss of power I've renewed the distributer components plugs leads points condenser etc it has improved but not perfect and I'd like to check the timing i hope someone can help this newbee novice thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Ignition timing

Post by philthehill »

Welcome to the world of Minors.

No need to get under the front of the car.

If it is running and you have adjusted the points gap correctly (0.015") just slacken the distributer clamp and turn the distributer very slightly each way until you get the engine running its best.
The timing details are only a base point and with modern petrol nearly irrelevant.
Road test to confirm performance and adjust further if necessary.

Make sure that the carb is serviced with the correct mixture plus the rockers are correctly gapped as both will have an effect on performance.

Any more information required please come back on here.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

With no ramp, use a good quality jack to raise the front of the car slightly and support safely on stands, you can then put your head underneath to see the marks. The default static is around 3 degrees BTDC, but sessions on a rolling road have shown engines that run best with 12 and even 18 degrees, and no trace of pinking.

Once you have got the smoothest running as per Phil's advice, find a hill and accelerate up it. If oyu hearing pinking then you need to retard slightly. You could advance until you do hear pinking and then back off slightly.
MOGGIEMOS1@
Minor Friendly

Post by MOGGIEMOS1@ »

Very much appreciated guys my new timing light is due tomorrow thanks again I will post an update soon
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

My advice is not to run the engine with the car supported on axle stands.
If the car rocks and the axle stands are not placed securely the car can fall off the axle stands on top of the person checking the timing.
If you want to get under the car with the engine running buy a pair of car ramps so that the front wheels can be placed and sit securely on the top of the ramps with the rear wheels chocked and the handbrake full on.
Watch out for that rotating fan as well.
Take care whatever you do.
Phil

MOGGIEMOS1@
Minor Friendly

Post by MOGGIEMOS1@ »

Thanks Phil new ramps are on order thanks for the safety tips