Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggiegeek
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Moggie rear brakes

Post by moggiegeek »

Looking to uprate the braking on the moggie I am going to fit Riley 1.5 front brakes.
Im wondering however if its possible/desirable to uprate the rear brakes. I can see Wolesley 1500 brakes are an easy fit but in their absence is it possible to modify moggie front brakes for the rear???
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Moggie rear brakes

Post by Murrayminor »

The rears have less work to do than the front, look how many modern cars used drums on the rear up to a few years back.
I would say the standard rears in good condition should suffice on everything up to a modified vehicle, you don't want too much braking on the rear causing the rears to lock when braking.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
moggiegeek
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by moggiegeek »

Sorry, should have said it is a modified 1275, mild cam, hif44, maniflow etc. Suspension is adjustable Spax all round , anti roll bar etc.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Fitting the Riley 1.5 front brakes to a Minor is a good period modification.

The braking is superb as I found when fitted to my Minor.

One problem to look out for is that the adjusters over time become very loose in the backplate and you can loose the ability to retain adjustment. I had to change several of the adjusters when the Riley brakes were fitted.
Sometimes NOS replacement brake adjuster kits come up for sale on 'e' bay and I would grab any that appear.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RILEY-1-5-FR ... :rk:1:pf:0

The un-sprung weight of the Riley brake assy is quite significant and the dampers need to be in good condition to control the additional un-sprung weight.

The Wolseley 1500 brakes can as you say be easily fitted to the rear axle of the Minor as I have done myself.

I would advise that the Minor 8" front brakes are not suitable for fitting onto a Minor rear axle as the Minor front brakes are twin leading shoes and the Minor rears are single leading shoe. The Minor rears also have the strengthened aperture for the handbrake/brake cylinder..
Better to look for either the Riley 1.5 or Wolseley 1500 brakes though the standard 7" Minor rear brakes will be adequate.

Photo of Wolseley 1500 brakes fitted to my Minor
Wolseley 1500 brakes.JPG
Wolseley 1500 brakes.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 667 times