Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stag36587
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Is my clutch on its way out?

Post by stag36587 »

Hi guys, looking for some clutch advice please. I seem to have a slight noise from my clutch at idle.....a very light/quiet but definite, continuous, metallic sound or vibration. The sound goes away when I depress the clutch. The clutch pedal is all adjusted perfectly. What would this noise be please? Is it time to change the clutch ?

Thanks
]
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Is my clutch on its way out?

Post by Murrayminor »

Sounds like the clutch release bearing is on the way out.
If you are removing the engine to change the bearing you may as well change the clutch whilst you have it apart.
I have been told the easiest way to change the clutch is to remove the engine and get at it that way, I have to go through the same thing soon on mine.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by BrianHawley »

Has this just started?

It’s not the idle shaft in the gearbox by any chance?
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

the clutch bearing is only in contact with the pressure plate in the clutch system when you press the pedal,it touches nothing at idle with the pedal up,if the noise gets no worse when you press the pedal then unlikely to be realease bearing,which as an aside is a solid carbon ring which dosent move so not really a bearing. A good reason not to sit with the clutch down at traffic lights.
The noise may be,as previously stated; the bearing on the input shaft in the gearbox,wouldn't fret too much about it, could last for years before failing,This bearing is always under threat if a gearbox is left standing on the bell end with the shaft pointing up all the grit and metal particles ' flow with the oil into the first motion bearing causing failure. good luck
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

the clutch bearing is only in contact with the pressure plate in the clutch system when you press the pedal,it touches nothing at idle with the pedal up,if the noise gets no worse when you press the pedal then unlikely to be realease bearing,which as an aside is a solid carbon ring which dosent move so not really a bearing. A good reason not to sit with the clutch down at traffic lights.
The noise may be,as previously stated; the bearing on the input shaft in the gearbox,wouldn't fret too much about it, could last for years before failing,This bearing is always under threat if a gearbox is left standing on the bell end with the shaft pointing up all the grit and metal particles ' flow with the oil into the first motion bearing causing failure. good luck
harbous
Minor Friendly

Post by harbous »

I had a similar rattling noise on my traveller which I had assumed was the release bearing or even general wear in the clutch assembly. On closer inspection however found the problem to be the relay shaft assembly ie the bits that connect the clutch pedal ,including the adjustment rod and the associated bushes. They are not in the most ac cessible place even to inspect - with two people and a good torch you may be able to see any excessive play from inside the engine compartment. To replace the assembly of course you’ll need to jack the car up high enough to get underneath! Might well be worth checking this before embarking on anything more drastic!
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Many thanks for the replies guys, I’ll have a good check over at the weekend ... so long as weather is better than today
]