Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Grumbley
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Starter motor advice please

Post by Grumbley »

Hi, I have been the proud owner of a 1968 Traveller for almost 21 years, it’s pretty much original spec. Today we got a bit stuck when out & about because the starter motor failed. It’s making a whirring noise but not turning the engine over so I presume something isn’t engaging as it should. Luckily I live somewhere hilly so a bump start was easy enough and we got home ok. The annoying thing is that its not that long since I replaced the starter motor. This one came from a local motor factors, but this is not the first time I’ve had problems with Moggy spares that seem to have barely lasted 5 minutes. Can anyone advise me where I might buy a decent replacement starter motor please? I’d rather pay a bit more for a good quality product than buy cheap rubbish again! Thanks in advance :wink:
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Starter motor advice please

Post by philthehill »

Before you go and buy a replacement starter motor - remove the existing starter and see if the starter bendix is turning freely on the starter shaft and that the teeth on the flywheel are ok.
Starter motor may be ok and the fault lies with the flywheel.
Phil

mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

And don't forget there's a starting handle for use on these occasions. :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If you do use the starting handle - make sure that you keep your thumb to the right side of the starting handle grip - otherwise if the engine kicks back you could end up with a broken thumb. :cry:

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

The last time I witnessed an injury from a kick-back, the fellow suffered a broken arm - a rather larger engine than a moggie minor, though. A large Alliss crawler did the damage.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I used to start our single cylinder Field Marshall tractor on the handle, Phil’s Thumb advice is very important and was one of the first things my dad taught me to do.

Phil
Grumbley
Minor Friendly

Post by Grumbley »

Thanks guys :) Starter handle is fine when the car is warm but I wouldn't rate my chances when she's cold! :-?
philthehill wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:59 pm Before you go and buy a replacement starter motor - remove the existing starter and see if the starter bendix is turning freely on the starter shaft and that the teeth on the flywheel are ok.
Starter motor may be ok and the fault lies with the flywheel.
Phil
Thanks, will do! ;)
shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

A weak battery can cause the starter to turn without engaging .....
Grumbley
Minor Friendly

Post by Grumbley »

shoebone wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:59 pm A weak battery can cause the starter to turn without engaging .....
I've used a battery booster that will get a reluctant 7.5 tonner going, still no joy so I don't think it's anything to do with the battery. Thanks for the suggestion though. Haven't had a chance to get the starter motor out yet but hopefully I will have time this weekend :)
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

It's been said many times, but the Bendix drive needs to be really clean and not lubricated. Lubrication works a treat to begin with, but attracts dirt and makes the drive sticky, which then cannot throw in the pinion.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then a new starter (or Bendix drive) is required.
Richard

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Anyone else hand cranked an aeroplane? :D
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Anyone feel brave enough to do a "hand-cranking for idiots" video?????
Cardiff, UK
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Mr Jowettjavelin has one on YouTube, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjLiGqC_YsI :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Whilst I have never hand cranked an aircraft engine I have hand cranked over large diesel engines fitted with de-compressors.
The worst part is at the moment of dropping the de-compressor as that diesel engine can kick back with some force if you have not got the engine rotating at a decent speed.
The worst was a large Lister engine inside a mobile workshop where the starter handle ratchet would not disengage and all had to run for it.
Only when we were absolutely sure that the starting handle was not going to fly off did someone venture back inside the mobile workshop to turn off the fuel supply to the engine.

Rasputin
Minor Fan

Post by Rasputin »

There is a rather large lady living just down the road from me that used to kick start Jumbo jets :D