Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
can687
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

tickover

Post by can687 »

Hi, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this problem. The car is a 1969 4 door saloon with 1098cc engine. When I take the car for a run, after the engine has warmed up and the choke is dispensed with, when I come to a junction or traffic lights, the engine stalls. Increase the tick over speed I hear you cry. I've done that and now the engine nearly stalls ( charging light flickers ) but then ticks over very fast. Any ideas? Pete
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Re: tickover

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

Have you checked your dashpot oil level?
Regards John
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Does it have a brake servo?
If so try it with the vacuum pipe blanked (remembering the brakes will need more effort).

Same if it has a pcv system fitted.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Could be a number of issues, such as:

1. Clutch dragging too much - does it only stall when the clutch pedal is pressed down?
2. Bad engine-to-body earth strap. Also check all ignition system connections.
3. Inlet manifold leak - check the manifold bolts are tight and that the gasket(s) are sound.
4. Worn throttle spindle on the carb, letting in too much air.
5. Possibly a failing ignition coil. Does it get hot to touch after a run?
6. Carb running too rich or lean - remove the spark plugs after a run, and check they are light tan in colour.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

check the mixture after the oil in the dashpot check.get it hot and lift the little pin under the side of the carb,lift till you feel resistance then just ease it up slightly just a mill or so and hold up,if carb is set ok then the revs will rise slightly then fall back and the engine will run a bit rough . If you are not familiar with adjusting carb report back for a how to set up.Could also need timing resetting but do carb check first. good luck
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by pgp001 »

Hello

Is this something that has only just started happening, or has it always done it ?

Phil
can687
Minor Friendly

Post by can687 »

Thanks for the replies chaps. The timing and mixture have been checked, also dash pot oil level. There are a few suggestions in your replies that I haven't thought of, so when the workshop ( ie outside ) warms up I'll give them a go. Thanks very much and I'll report back when the problem is solved or not as the case may be. Pete
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

If there is oil in the dashpot, and the timing and mixture are good, the remedy may be as simple as cleaning/replacing the plugs and points - and setting their gaps correctly . A car in need of a service will not perform as efficiently as it should.
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

now i always forget this - which way do you turn the carb nut (when looking down at it) to make leaner/richer?
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

Looking down, if a HS carb (as opposed to HIF), clockwise will richen it.