Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
benoit desjardin
MMOC Member: No

New exhaust very noisy

Post by benoit desjardin »

Dear friends,

I put a new (three parts) exhaust on « Maurice » my beautiful trafalgar blue traveller.
I must confess this exhaust is very noisy.
Any solutions from UK?
Regards,
Benoit
Chantilly, France (nobody is perfect)
54B2E241-1BD5-4CA8-9766-971CD9264E80.jpeg
54B2E241-1BD5-4CA8-9766-971CD9264E80.jpeg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 812 times
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New exhaust very noisy

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Hi

nice car. Is it blowing (leaking) from any of the joints or just amplifying the noise more?
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

If the exhaust is newly fitted then you may find, as I did that it is just touching the Body as it leaves the engine compartment. When the engine is not running, there may be enough clearance but with the Vibration of the Motor it may then just touch and create a lot of noise. Worth checking.

Salut d'Allmagne ( pire :D )
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Hi and welcome. As above, nice car - can't quite see if she is LHD export or RHD shipped over from UK?

Was the old exhaust mild steel and the new one stainless? Quite often stainless is slightly louder. Is the new one a single silencer box or the newer two box one?

Can you pinpoint where the additional noise is originating? Is it a rattle, coming from a joint, or simply louder coming out of the tail pipe?

As well as possibly touching the body where the pipe exits the engine bay, also look for touching the cross member and the rear axle and even petrol tank (very bad) as some new pipes are not the best fit. You can use soapy water or a proper gas leak detector apray to check for joint leaks. Is it a good fit to the manifold?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I recently fitted an 'aluminised steel' three-piece pipe. It does rasp a little at top revs, compared to the previous one, but nothing extreme. The famous 'trumpeting' noise on the over-run is louder and more fruity......but I like it....always makes me smile going down a hill which is just the right gradient to keep the noise going for a long time 8) I'm also convinced the car is pulling better (there were a few small blows at the rear of the silencer which I ran with for a while, which might have lessened the power slightly).
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Bonjour Benoit,

We are coming quite close to you in Chantilly in June this year, on our way in the Minor from Amsterdam, Brussels and on down to Moissac, near Toulouse. If the exhaust is still a problem, we be very happy to call in and have a look/listen, if that would help?
Richard