Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
OWmoo
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Handbrake cable length

Post by OWmoo »

Can anyone please confirm the correct handbrake cable length dimensions. I have a 'rolling resto' 67' 4-door saloon. All the cable adjustment has been taken up at the lever and the handbrake is hardly effective even when the lever is pulled up to its last notch. The rear shoes and cylinders have been recently replaced.
The overall length of my current cable measures;-
Inner cable from end of the threaded section to the end of nipple (ignoring the clevis) is 54"
The outer sheaving (ignoring the fixing abutments) = 29 1/2".

King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Handbrake cable length

Post by King Kenny »

Sorry I do not know the actual length of the cable but as soon as I fitted now cable several years ago I found I ran out of adjustment at the hand brake lever too. The old frayed cable was fine so there must be an issue with some new cables. Chas Ware says..."HBK119 Cable - Handbrake - Cable Outer Length = 30 Inches".
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
paul 300358
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Handbrake cable length

Post by paul 300358 »

I'm not sure of the length, but you first need to slacken the handbrake cables fully off, then adjust the rear shoes using the adjusters inside the drums, then you adjust the cables. I'm pretty sure that the workshop manual states that the handbrake cables should not be adjusted.