Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Brake servo advice

Post by cococola »

I wonder if it is worth fitting a brake servo kit on my standard Morris minor brakes,does it make a big difference to the brakes or would I need to go all the way with calipers please?
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Brake servo advice

Post by myoldjalopy »

To be honest, I wouldn't bother if it is a standard Minor. As long as the braking system is properly set up and maintained, and you drive within the limits of the car, standard Minor braking system is fine. Sometimes fitting fancy stuff to a simple, effective car causes problems - we see them on here on a regular basis. :roll:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I can only agree with the previous reply. My Minor is driven every day and regularly on long journeys. It has completely standard brakes and I've never felt them to be lacking. However, they are well maintained with the best quality components and work properly.
However. If I felt that the Minor braking system wasn't up to my requirements and prevented me enjoying and using the car, I would consider an upgrade. A servo won't make the brakes any better. It will simply enable you to apply them using less effort. If that is your aim, them fitting one might help. For myself, when I have driven a Minor with a servo, I have found the brakes to be a bit "sharp' but it is just a matter of getting used to it I imagine!
Last edited by ManyMinors on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

The servo is useful if you have arthritic knees!