Timing chain replacement

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CHRIS J
MMOC Member: Yes

Timing chain replacement

Post by CHRIS J »

I have a Series 2 803cc Minor and about to change the timing chain, Any advice would be appreciated.
Should I check the cam and crankshaft gears, do they tend to wear?
I see that ESM sell duplex kits are these suitable for the 803cc engine and are they a better replacement?

Thanks Chris
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Timing chain replacement

Post by philthehill »

The main wear will be on the crankshaft sprocket teeth because the sprocket goes around twice as many times as the camshaft sprocket.

Looking into the roots of the teeth - any wear should be apparent.

Replacement simplex gears and tensioning rings are available but for a comparable price the duplex set up is better and very good value for money.

The duplex timing chain set is suitable for the 803cc engine and it is a fit and forget solution. Much quieter and longer lasting.

I would suggest that you fit the later type timing chain cover with the lip seal. You will need the flat oil thrower which replaces the cupped oil thrower. The new thrower plate is marked 'F' which indicates front.

The two 1/4" UNF bolts behind the crankshaft gear will need to be replaced with countersunk screws (CS).

The front plate will need countersinking. The CS screws to be loctited in place.

Any further advice just ask.

CHRIS J

Post by CHRIS J »

Thanks for your advice, I have ordered the Duplex kit and will let you know how I get on fitting it.

Chris
CHRIS J

Post by CHRIS J »

Fitted duplex chain, I had to shim crank gear a small amount but no real problems.
Its a good quality kit and happy with result.
Thanks for advice.
Chris