Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Gearbox grief - selector rods

Post by ianmack »

The first drive yesterday of my ‘54 with 1098 engine and 948/803 gearbox proved a little disappointing. Reverse gear disappeared, followed by first and second. I managed to get it into the garage using third.

Removing the gear lever I find that the reverse selector rod is canted over to the side and has some movement, but only a little. The 3/4 rod moves normally but the 1/2 rod is solid. I’m not sure how the reverse rod can move as it has unless perhaps the fork has come loose on the rod. Everything turned and engaged properly before installation. I’m guessing that perhaps the 1/2 rod is not moving because of the interlock mechanism with the misplaced reverse.

A loose fork is the only idea I can think of for this situation. Does anyone have any other idea? Any possible fix without removing and dismantling the box (again!). Please see the photo, sorry its not very clear.
Attachments
C612DBBA-2C39-4192-9BEE-129FA4057BDA.jpeg
C612DBBA-2C39-4192-9BEE-129FA4057BDA.jpeg (890.76 KiB) Viewed 404 times
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Gearbox grief - selector rods

Post by ianmack »

I’ve managed to sort this and it was the reverse fork having come adrift on its rod. I thought the fork might have broken but it was actually the retaining screw which had somehow lost its pointed tip. This can can be fixed without removing the box by accessing through the gear lever hole, side plate and drain plug. It’s still a bit of a pain though as the side plate hole isn’t very handy with the floor nearby.

With a top loading gearbox this would all have been so much easier. What is the point of using a side plate, does anyone know?