Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Torsion Bar replacement

Post by philthehill »

It is no good trying to finding new torsion bars until you have stripped the torsion bar from the car and examined it and the cross member.
Then you can make a considered opinion/decision as to the way forward.

A good used N/S torsion bar fitted and correctly adjusted will fit the bill nicely if indeed a torsion bar is required.

Phil

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

IIRC, the shot peined torsion bars were so well over-engineered that BMC only had 5 fail in service. Saw it in one of the reference books. If so, I'd say the chances of someone having brand new one stuck on a shelf is probably less than zero. A used one should still be good for another million miles, though.
Cardiff, UK
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It has been mentioned/suggested above that you may have Marina/Ital torsion bars fitted. Marina/Ital torsion bars do not have the threaded tail that fits through the cross-member. To fit the Marina/Ital torsion bars to the Minor adapters have to be used which fit into the rear reaction lever, these are only part way fitted into the lever which means that there is the possibility that the adapter has come out of the lever.
See photo below:
100_1714.JPG
100_1714.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 1104 times
The Maria/Ital torsion bar has to be adjusted for fit into both the front thick suspension arm and rear reaction arm splines and there is very little room for error. Adjustment is carried out by using packing washers front and rear.
See drawing below:
img047.jpg
img047.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 1099 times
If you do have the Marina/Ital torsion bars fitted they are quite sought after and should not be discarded as they do have a value.
Note the different thicknesses of Marina/Ital torsion bars mentioned. The 21mm dia bar is the one to use.

flod
Minor Friendly

Post by flod »

The bars on are 20mm if that helps identify.
Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Bowie69 »

Standard minor ones are 19mm.

Some Marina bars are 20, some 20.6 (probably rounded up by most people).

Then the Marina van had thicker again, which I have, and look monstrous compared to the Minor ones.

I'd clean your bars up well, and measure accurately, as with this tolerance, the build up of crud can cause inaccuracies :)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

To return to the original question, I don't know of anyone near you that I could recommend; but I think that you do need a Minor expert garage or competent enthusiast. You could do some work yourself, but might need to reassemble in order to move the car for further work.

Stage 1: Following the normal safety precautions and the detailed instructions in the manual, remove the torsion bat. This will allow inspection of the bar and the cross member.

Stage 2: If needed, repair or replace the cross member end. At the very least, ensure that it is not damaged, and is welded properly to the floor (or vice versa).

Stage 3: If it is a marina bar with adapter that has slipped, reassemble in accordance with Phil's advice. If it is a bent Minor bar, then obtain a good second hand one and fit that.

Stage 4: With everything now in place, set the ride height correctly. This is achieved by using the splines on the bar and the holes in the adjuster plate.

Stage 5: Enjoy driving the car.

Whilst working in this aream, you might like to consider renewing all the bushes and seals. I recommend Polybush for the former and Declan's products for the latter. Also check for trunnion wear and that the bump and rebound stops are in position - this won't affect the ride height, but is all in the same area. You do not need to replace the tosrion bar on the other side. Hours work involved is going to depend on what you find. If you could drive further to get the repairs done then there are places that I would recommend.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You will not be able to identify the torsion bar(s) until you have at least stripped the rear end. Everything else is speculation.

If it has a threaded tail it is a Minor torsion bar

If it does not have a threaded tail and has an adapter it is a Martina torsion bar.

The Marina/Ital 19mm / 20mm diameter torsion bars give limited improvement over the Minor torsion bar. To get any real benefit the bar should be at least 20.6mm diameter.

For reference:

Marina/Ital torsion bar 19mm...……...Pt No: 21H5747. Listed as normal duty in the Marina/Ital parts list.

Marina/Ital torsion bar 20.6mm...…...Pt No: 21H5437. Listed as heavy duty in the Marina/Ital parts list.

Marina/Ital torsion bar 20mm...………Pt No: ????????? Not listed in the Marina/Ital parts list.
img048.jpg
img048.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 1027 times

flod
Minor Friendly

Post by flod »

Just had another crawl under and cleaned off the torsion bar and still showing diameter of 20mm. Down side was in my dressing gown and the Mrs has gone barmy.
But seriously it seems like the nut/washer has pushed the cross member in.
Ok so it looks like I've got to take further afield.
Any recommendations going out from Lichfield Staffs or is it best just contacting places like Charles Ware.

And again many thanks for all your help and advice.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I've sent you a PM.