Clutch returned

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
egrog52
MMOC Member: Yes

Clutch returned

Post by egrog52 »

Having bought a four door morris minor in bits I thought I would buy a clutch for when I was rebuilding it, so I went on to Ebay and saw Borg and Beck 184mm clutch for a Morris Minor and bought it opened the box when it arrived and thought something looks a bit off here saw I measured the cluttch plate it was 180mm with a ribbon of friction material measuring measuring 20mm. Now I have an old clutch plate that is 184mm with a ribbon of friction material that is 28mm so it would seem that even though you might expect the clutch is advertised as OEM it is most certainly not to original spec. It is a quarter of an inch smaller and has about 30% less friction material. While I am sure the smaller amount of friction material would propel the car along satisfactorily I cant help but feel short changed.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: Clutch returned

Post by palacebear »

Many issues recently with Borg & Beck clutches. Once a respected make, they're now made cheaply overseas on behalf of Borg & Beck and aren't of the best quality.

Good that you've not fitted it. If you had you'd probably have been changing it again within 2000 miles or less!
1956 4-door called Max
egrog52

Re: Clutch returned

Post by egrog52 »

What actually cionvinced me to return the clutch was the cover plate, instead of the shiny smooth surface ground face that the carbon thrust runs on it was just roughly milled with grooves I could feel with my finger-nail. I suspect if I had just installed the clutch the thrust would have been worn away in no time. I worked in a machine shop for years and can certainly tell when something is ground or milled.