Front brake pipe replacement - remove gearbox cover?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Front brake pipe replacement - remove gearbox cover?

Post by Oldmogman »

Has anyone changed the master-cylinder-to-front-three-way-union brake pipe recently?

I think I will need to remove the gearbox cover for the best access, but I wondered if anyone's managed to replace it without removing the gearbox cover? Experience tells me that the ostensibly long way round of doing this will probably be quicker and easier in the long run, but I'm open to suggestions!

Also, I think I'll need to drain the brake fluid reservoir and master cylinder to avoid filling the chassis leg with brake fluid, but if anyone's got any time-saving bright ideas?!

Thanks all
paul 300358
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Front brake pipe replacement - remove gearbox cover?

Post by paul 300358 »

I did mine a couple of months ago, I am lucky enough to have access to 2 and 4 post ramps but even if your doing it on axle stands I don't think you will have a problem.
If you have a remote reservoir, to stop the fluid leaking when changing the pipe, prepare a length of wood to hold the peddle down, place an ice cream tub under a union, undo the union and press the peddle, keep the peddle pressed with the wood wedged between the peddle and the seat, this will stop the fluid in the reservoir leaking past the seals.
If you have a standard system, remove the master cylinder cap, place cling film between the cylinder and cap, this will stop air entering the cylinder and stop the fluid leaking.