Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
niftyrodman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

oil slinger front timing

Post by niftyrodman »

In a Morris 1000, does the lip face in or out. Most modern cars it faces out. That's how I installed it. Am I wrong in this case? I have a small weep from the T/C, and initially blamed the felt seal. I thought on observation when I assembled the engine that fitting the slinger with the lip in would foul the chain, am I right or wrong. Thanks.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: oil slinger front timing

Post by philthehill »

The oil slinger for the minor 803cc/948ccengine fitted with the felt seal in the timing chain cover is that the cup faces outwards/concave facing forward.

The timing chain cover with the felt seal is next to useless unless extreme care is taken when fitting the felt seal and timing cover.

The felt seal should be soaked in engine oil for at least 24hrs before fitting.

The later timing cover with the lip seal is much better and should be used whenever possible.

niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

Thanks PH. I agree, I never put enough thought into the front seal after all the mucking around fitting the rear one,( which worked) but its an easy fix if praps you can tell me where I can purchase the mod timing cover in the U.K plus a speedi or speedy sleeve. Thanks mate.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Timing covers with lip seal are normally readily available on 'e' bay but are not at this moment in time. Try club spares or post in the wanted section.

You will need the flat oil thrower for the lip seal cover.
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search

How bad is your damper pulley lip seal seat? They usually clean up ok with good rub over with a strip of medium wet & dry lubricated with WD40. The damper pulley lip seal seat did not look too bad from the picture on your related thread.

niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

The seal running area is not that bad or else I would have done something. I remember making a judgement as to whether it was O.K. In my early days we filled the groove with a bronze weld then lathed them. The reason I mentioned the speedy sleeve was just an added piece of insurance really. I was thinking this morning if there was a band that was slightly springy, of a zig zag nature it could be seated in the outer case of the felt seal housing flexing the seal . The pulley/damper could be eased into the case off the vehicle and assembled as one. Would only need a light pressure, and be well lubricated. Mine doesnt leak while running,m just a drip after switchoff, Im just glad the rear seal is working, touch wood. Thanks for the slinger link. And yes ESM are out of the cases, hopefully they will be available soon.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Personally I would not even try to improve the felt seal but replace the cover with the lip seal type at the first available opportunity.

Replacing the felt seal timing cover with the lip seal type was one of the first jobs undertaken on my Minor engine having experience from working in the BMC garage and seeing how poor the felt seals were.

niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

Issigonis was a great cherrypicker of ideas, but the felt seal was not one. The rack and pinion was and still is. Amazing man
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I think that you will find that Issigonis had nothing to do with the felt oil seal as it was an Austin engine re-badged to Morris and which pre-dated Issigonis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMC_A-series_engine

Issigonis wanted to fit a new build flat 4 to the Minor but as the SV engine was available and plentiful it was chosen instead to fit the original Minor the engine of which was eventually superseded by the 803cc OHV 'A' Series - and the rest is history.

niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

O.K where did Issigonis find the rack and pinion, France? The Austin had a box.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Issigonls certainly deserves credit as an early user of rack and pinion in car steering but the mechanism is much older, being used in the nineteenth century for hill railways and for raising canal lock paddles before that.

Phil is correct that the a series engine came from Austin so it’s hardly fair to blame Issigonis for that.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Citroen were the first European manufacturer to use rack and pinion steering on a production car, the Traction Avant.
niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

Yes, I read the Issigonis biography, and my impression was that, he had a lot of influence in the Morris Minor development, and design, and when I replace or refit an incidental cleverly designed component, I think of him. I mean, how many handbrake cables have grease nipples? It was the Mini which he had a greater influence.No doubt. But the tick tick of the Skinner S.U fuel pump, deliberate in my restoration takes me back to my boyhood MM side valve ever reliable friend.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Here is the required timing chain cover with the lip seal and duplex for good measure:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-MINI ... Sw3FJc-7Q0