Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Starter Motor Woes

Post by oliver90owner »

I think that's the last resort; as I have an auto only licence (yeah, I know) it would mean selling her which I'm loathe to do, having fallen in love with the car and spent a lot of time working on her. Besides which, when it's working, it's a joy to drive in traffic with an auto box!

Selling is not the only option. Upgrading your driving license to include a manual gearbox might be a better and cheaper alternative!

You could also, presumably drive an electric vehicle on your license? Now, there is yet another possibility for a short range vehicle. :D
Napoleon Boot
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Napoleon Boot »

Selling is not the only option. Upgrading your driving license to include a manual gearbox might be a better and cheaper alternative!

You could also, presumably drive an electric vehicle on your license? Now, there is yet another possibility for a short range vehicle. :D
[/quote]

Yep I do intend to take my manual test, just a question of time to do it. And yes, I’ve seen the electric Moggie that London Electric Vehicles converted - I’d love to do the same, but at £10,000 I think I need to wait until the prices come down a bit! :o
1971 Adderley Park Traveller, "Peggy". 1098 engine, automatic transmission
Napoleon Boot
Minor Fan

Post by Napoleon Boot »

It's been a long time but I wanted to return to this old thread to tell you all what happened in the end. Haven't had a chance but now I've been furloughed from work there's no excuse!

It turned out that the adaptor plate that the PO had made to fit the flex plate had disintegrated, it was thin gauge metal and must have been flapping away for a little while before giving up the ghost entirely:
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (13.28 KiB) Viewed 518 times
My local Morris garage no longer have anyone who can machine parts, but Steve Phillips of this forum came to my rescue, and made up a much sturdier looking flexplate which fits perfectly:
IMG_20190720_163734181.jpg
IMG_20190720_163734181.jpg (379.99 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Peggy now drives much better than before with a bit more power; apparently the prop shaft is a little too short and has a shim making up the difference, so getting it lengthened is on the list of things to sort once this craziness is all over, hopefully that'll give a little bit more power to the wheels as well. Since then I've been carrying on with the endless list of little jobs; getting the wipers to work both fast and slow, replacing the plywood boot floor which had rotted, caulking the back windows, touching up the paint, adding electronic ignition (which has transformed the performance, I think the old points were on the way out). I now have a couple of new little problems though, which I'll put in a new post!

We had some decently long drives out before the virus descended, down to West Sussex and back, and over the North Downs to Kent, including some tiny lanes, steep hills and unexpected watersplashes, but she performed faultlessly; to conclude, here's a photo of her outside the George and Dragon in the village of Downe:
IMG_7752.jpg
IMG_7752.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 518 times
Last edited by Napoleon Boot on Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Good to see you have got it sorted and have returned to complete the thread.

Happy motoring - and stay safe.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Well done.

Very apt that you mention the George and Dragon pub at Downe on St Georges Day and not forgetting it is Shakespeare's birthday.

https://www.georgeanddragondowne.com/

Phil

Napoleon Boot
Minor Fan

Post by Napoleon Boot »

Happy motoring - and stay safe.
Many thanks!
Very apt that you mention the George and Dragon pub at Downe on St Georges Day
Ha ha, so it is! I'd love to say that I'd planned that...
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

How nice to be able to park right outside the pub door! :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »