Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Edward1949
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Engine misfire advice

Post by Edward1949 »

Thanks for keeping us posted - I thought it was going to be a simple ignition fault, how wrong I was!
Many years ago my 1954 Austin Somerset blew head gaskets twice within 500 miles. Same place, the narrowest bit between 2 cylinders. Couldn't afford the "correct" solution of checking & skimming the head. Made a packing piece out of the thinnest blade from an old feeler gauge set. Worked a treat, went for years without further problem. I'm not suggesting this as a normal repair procedure, just thought folk may be interested in a cheap bodge that actually worked, probably more by luck than judgement.
mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Engine misfire advice

Post by mowogg »

I have been watching this thread with interest. I thinks there is a lot of superstition around head gaskets and what makes them last.

I have had 2 payen copper gaskets fail. The shortest was 3000 miles on a refreshed engine where both the head and block were skimmed before fitting. I personally will not fit another unless it is to get me home but I have heard others have success with them.

I understand the black payen one is better. Its quite a lot more money. I have also heard (myth /fact) that it's best to run them 1st without any coolant to get the glue compound to seal. I don't know if there is anything in this perhaps others will comment.

What I do know is I fitted a nos 1960s bmc gasket a few years ago and have had no issues since it was fitted. Perhaps I have been unlucky or perhaps I have suffered due to poor quality parts.

If there is a definitive answer I would like to know as its a pain to keep doing them