Speedo woes

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
snncrv
MMOC Member: No

Speedo woes

Post by snncrv »

Morning all. I have a 1955 split screen and a have a wayward overeading speedo. Its be updated with a 1098 and 4.22 diff fitted. It still has a 80mph bronze? faced speedo fitted. Am I correct in feeling that I need to fit a 1048tpm speedo?

Ta
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Speedo woes

Post by Sleeper »

What was the original diff ratio , how accurate was the speedo before?

John :wink:
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Legal requirement for a speedo reading is +10% of road speed but not less than the true road speed. I suppose sat navs have highlighted the errors. I always took note of the rev counter when I used to ‘stretch’ the rules a tad. Most boy racers over-estimated how fast their cars went.

Back then it was a matter of checking (using motorway count-down markers and a stopwatch) to get an accurate speed assessment. Distance checks to the nearest 1/10th of a mile were also done using the motorway markers, usually over a ten mile stretch (or less).
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Am I correct in feeling that I need to fit a 1048tpm speedo?
I think you mean 1248tpm.

If so, I believe that would be suitable. I think that spec only comes with a black face though -- so not original appearance.

Don
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

You’ll either need to fit the speedo from a later car - ideally an early 1098 bronze one - or alternatively, have the ‘box apart and fit the Speedo drive gear and matching head from a Series II car to get your existing speedo to read better, though it will still be out due to the diff. The SII speedo will read around 50% fast with 1000 running gear, as the TPM for the SII speedo is much lower than that of the 1000s, at around 1000 TPM.
Tootall
Minor Friendly

Post by Tootall »

Choose the style of speedo you want (if you still have the original in your car, why not stick with that) then send it to Speedy Cables, along with all the details of the engine, gearbox, diff ratio and wheel sizes.

They'll do all the maths and re-calibrate your old speedo to read correctly for your current set-up.

I did that many years ago when my car got a 1275, longer-legged diff and 14-inch minilights with 60-profile tyres.

Checking with my satnav, it's only about 1 mph out at 70... a decent margin of error, I'd say...
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

OR,
If all that fails I can make you a custom built speedo corrector gearbox and you can retain your original speedo. This sits on the back of the speedo.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
Corrector_gearbox_1_1_5.JPG
Corrector_gearbox_1_1_5.JPG (59.51 KiB) Viewed 840 times
Corrector_gearbox_1_1_5a_3D_printed.jpg
Corrector_gearbox_1_1_5a_3D_printed.jpg (541.7 KiB) Viewed 840 times
Corrector_gearbox_1_1_5b_3D_printed.jpg
Corrector_gearbox_1_1_5b_3D_printed.jpg (469.71 KiB) Viewed 840 times

Regards
Declan