Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mattyguk1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Earth strap positions?

Post by mattyguk1 »

Morning all, I'm in the process of refitting my rebuilt engine back into the minor and re attaching the wiring. I've come across a previous owner fitted earth strap(see pic) which isn't very well fitted, it comes from the bulkhead and I presume attaches to the heater control valve stud? Is this necessary? The minor is positive earth with the battery cable bolted to the side of the battery tray. What other earths are required just the gearbox to chassis? Thanks in advance matt
Attachments
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG (2.35 MiB) Viewed 1459 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Earth strap positions?

Post by philthehill »

There is also an earth strap from the engine front plate to the other side of the engine front mounting rubber and is connected to either the engine mount tower or its base.

See photo below:-
img030.jpg
img030.jpg (356.3 KiB) Viewed 1450 times

mattyguk1
Minor Fan

Post by mattyguk1 »

Thanks Phil, so I can do away with the bulkhead one and fit gearbox to chassis and the one you've pictured great
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I didn’t know about that front earthing strap. As expected very neat Phil, like the way you’ve dressed the jubilee clips! :D

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Thanks Les - one does try.

mattyguk1
The battery must be earthed and that is usually to the side of the battery box.

You cannot have too many earthing straps. Make sure that the earthing straps have metal to metal contact and not metal to paint -otherwise the earthing strap is totally ineffective.

Phil

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The earth strap from the gearbox to the chassis is a standard and necessary fitment. The one Phil shows from the engine is not. As he says however, it does no harm to have another.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There has always been an earth strap at the front of the engine and it has always been there since new and I have known the car since new and have owned it for the last 45 plus years.
The part number of the earth cable which is shown in my photo is also shown in the BMC Minor spares list Pt No: AKD 559 as 'Cable Engine To Earth' Pt No: AAA2345. It is also listed in the MOSS Europe parts list under the same description and part number.

Bull Motif & ESM both list the 'Earth Strap Between Gearbox and Chassis' as Pt No: WRC107.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

You are missing the point Phil that each parts book you quote lists only one earth cable. I agree that the original BMC parts book calls this the "engine to earth" cable. However, in my opinion, the correct fitting position for this cable is actually from the gearbox. There is no picture in the book to confirm this or otherwise. Regardless of what you call the cable, the parts books would list and show two cables if two were fitted wouldn't they? Like you Phil I worked for a main dealer back in the day and have owned Morris Minors for even longer than 45 years. But, I must say I don't recall seeing an earth strap fitted to the front of the engines. None of my Minors has one and I doubt all have been discarded.
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

ManyMinors wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:34 pm The earth strap from the gearbox to the chassis is a standard and necessary fitment. The one Phil shows from the engine is not. As he says however, it does no harm to have another.

Yes agree with you many minors...... and extra fitment straps like Phils are a good idea too... :wink:

All of mine have the gearbox braided earth cable and none in the engine bay... :D

Having seen Phils now I must fit an extra one...

Taupe
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

A second strap is a good idea. Belt and braces! I remember trying to start an engine that had just been fitted and all the starter motor current was supplied through the metal fuel line! It glowed red very quickly!