Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ColinChandler
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Marina/Ital oil filters

Post by ColinChandler »

Morning all,

I've recently invested in a freshly rebuilt A+ engine for my 1957 saloon. That's the one with the oil filter directly mounted off the block next to the distributor and at an angle at which it seems intent on emptying itself when I switch off the engine. I also imagine there will also be a case of dripping oil down the block when I come to change it.

Being rather fatherly to my new engine, I've adopted the technique of turning the engine on the starter motor until the pressure comes up on the gauge and then switching the ignition on so it starts and runs normally. Very easy to do with a key ignition and a pull starter.

Now, after much rambling, am I right in thinking there's a version of this oil filter which has a valve to stop the filter emptying itself when the engine is switched off? I feel sure being asked a while ago when buying a spin-on oil canister if I wanted the one with a valve or the one without.

It's not a problem for me doing what i do but it will keep my neighbour quiet. He always seems to appear whilst i'm spinning the engine over and never fails to comment that his modern car always "starts on the button." :D

Many thanks, Colin.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Marina/Ital oil filters

Post by philthehill »

You are correct in that there is a spin on oil filter for the Marina with the valve to prevent the filter from draining down when the engine is not turning over.

I do not have the oil filter number to hand but will have a look at the Unipart/Marina oil filters I have and come back to you - in the meantime someone else on here may have the filter number you require.

Having checked - The filter screw is 5/8" UNF - Unipart Oil filter GFE150 appears to have a anti drain valve.
Below is a photo of a Marina engine fitted with a Unipart GFE150 oil filter
A Plus 4.JPG
A Plus 4.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1250 times
The filter in the link below indicates that it has one non return valve:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Filter-f ... SwsW9YzKdY

I got over the problem of oil filter drain down with the Marina/Ital block fitted to my Minor by fitting a remote oil filter so that only the pipes drain down. It also stops the oil going everywhere when the filter is unscrewed as the filter is mounted screwed end up.

ColinChandler
Minor Fan

Post by ColinChandler »

Thanks Philthehill.

The info's much appreciated.

Best wishes, Colin.
squire
Minor Friendly

Post by squire »

philthehill wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:29 am You are correct in that there is a spin on oil filter for the Marina with the valve to prevent the filter from draining down when the engine is not turning over.

I do not have the oil filter number to hand but will have a look at the Unipart/Marina oil filters I have and come back to you - in the meantime someone else on here may have the filter number you require.

Having checked - The filter screw is 5/8" UNF - Unipart Oil filter GFE150 appears to have a anti drain valve.
Below is a photo of a Marina engine fitted with a Unipart GFE150 oil filter
A Plus 4.JPG

The filter in the link below indicates that it has one non return valve:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Filter-f ... SwsW9YzKdY

I got over the problem of oil filter drain down with the Marina/Ital block fitted to my Minor by fitting a remote oil filter so that only the pipes drain down. It also stops the oil going everywhere when the filter is unscrewed as the filter is mounted screwed end up.
Hi Phil,
Apologies for bothering you but do you have any information or link for a remote oil filter like the one you fitted? I too have a 1275 Marina/Ital engine in my traveller, I'm either going senile or doing something wrong because the last couple of oil changes I've been unable to get the filter to seal, the last oil change I did I bought two different brands of oil filter and they both weeped, so bought another and still the same result! I only once had this happen a good few years ago, another make of filter and everything was fine. I have no problems on my MGB, yet, as said I am now on my traveller. I always prefill about half full, smear fresh oil on the rubber oil filter seal and make sure the block is clean and tighten hand tight. I'm now toying with putting the filters on dry! Any ideas would be appreciated before I go mad, lol. Are anti drain filters strictly necessary?

Many thanks,

Martyn
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You will need a oil filter take off plate, two take off plate unions, two oil filter pipes with unions I used 45 degree angle unions), a filter head and two filter head unions.
The parts can be obtained from Merlin Motorsport www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk
The take off plate is 5/8" UNF but just check the thread to be sure. The take off plate is similar to that in the link below.
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/mo ... ds-m-top-1
This is the filter head.
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/mo ... ht-m-rfh3b
You can either have made up pipes or make your own. I made my own using oil cooler pipe again from Merlin Motorsport.
WDF oilflter take off.JPG
WDF oilflter take off.JPG (1.72 MiB) Viewed 928 times
WDF oil filter.JPG
WDF oil filter.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 928 times
The lump between filter and filter head is a oil/coolant intercooler.

I use WIX oil filter Pt No: WL7077

Regarding the threaded adapter that fits into the block/filter I have used Loctite to secure the adapter thread (only into the block) so that the thread is equal for both block and take off plate and does not move when the take off plate is fitted.

If you do not want to get oil all over the place - anti drain oil filters are a must.
Last edited by philthehill on Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squire
Minor Friendly

Post by squire »

philthehill wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:58 pm You will need a oil filter take off plate, two take off plate unions, two oil filter pipes with unions I used 45 degree angle unions), a filter head and two filter head unions.
The parts can be obtained from Merlin Motorsport www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk
I am certain this is the right take off plate. 3/4" UNF but just check the thread to be sure.
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/mo ... ds-m-top-1
This is the filter head.
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/mo ... ht-m-rfh3b
You can either have made up pipes or make your own. I made my own using oil cooler pipe again from Merlin Motorsport.
WDF oilflter take off.JPG
WDF oil filter.JPG

The lump between filter and filter head is a oil/coolant intercooler.

I use WIX oil filter Pt No: WL7077

Regarding the threaded adapter that fits into the block/filter I have used Loctite to secure the adapter thread (only into the block) so that the thread is equal for both block and take off plate and does not move when the take off plate is fitted.

If you do not want to get oil all over the place - anti drain oil filters are a must.
Hi Phil,
Thanks for your swift reply and photos, having had a very swift look at prices and not yet found all of them I think it's going to be a bit cost prohibitive to be honest. It looks a great set up and relatively easy do once a location has been decided but to go to the expense for an oil leak which should not be happening it seems a bit of overkill for a car that now only does a couple of K per year.

Your advice is always greatly appreciated, but I think I'll just have to put up with oil filters that don't seem to want to seal 🙄 for some reason?

Many thanks again,
Martyn