Convertible - suspension options - opinions please!

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tootall
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Convertible - suspension options - opinions please!

Post by Tootall »

Hi all,

I had my Convertible up in the air a couple of days ago to do the rear suspension bushes.

A couple of years ago, the car had a new floor, stem to stern, at Charles Ware's, On disassembly, I discovered that they'd refitted my springs with new pins and nuts and brand-new bushes! Bonus...

However... I have red polybushes to hand and green (softer - presumably standard) polybushes fitted. I also have a complete set of unused green bushes, which is how I know they're softer...

I have removed the rear lowering blocks and raised the front end on the torsion bars to standard height and am renewing all the bushes and bump-rubbers, as part of an attempt to bring the old girl back from her previous road-racer spec to something a little more comfortable to drive.

So, the $64,000 question is... should I stay green or go red?

I know this is probably as thorny a question as Midget or Ford gearbox behind my 1275 but I'd welcome the input...

While we're at it - and now that I've discovered nothing is rusted solid and things can be changed fairly easily - should I retain the 1963 saloon springs (5-leaf) or use something a little stronger (7- or 8- leaf) to keep up with my more-spirited-than-1950s-driving?

I don't want a Track Day go-kart... but I would like the old girl to go, stop and handle a little more like a modern...

Again, all of this is very personal but let's hear what you all have to say...
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Convertible - suspension options - opinions please!

Post by Declan_Burns »

The colour is not a definite indication for hard or soft. You can only measure it with a durometer.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I agree with Declan - colour means nothing.

I have got dark RED, light RED, YELLOW, BLUE and GREEN bushes and they all seem to be in the same the same spectrum of Shore hardness.

Only if you purchase the top quality poly bushes with a stated Shore number can you be guaranteed the appropriate ride quality.

I have a new set of genuine Superflex Polyurethane Pt No: 0258-95K bushes ready to fit in the rear springs/eye. They are BLACK and will give a firm ride at 95 Shore but that is what I want.

https://www.superflex.co.uk/hardnessguide.php

https://www.superflex.co.uk/proddetail. ... 4%2F860-4K

Seven leaf springs will be more than adequate.

IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Tootall,

If you are anywhere in the Oxford area, you are very welcome to see how our convertible suspension 'feels' to you.

It has polyurethane everywhere on on the suspension, front and rear - almost all the bushes are Superflex. To us it is 'firm', but not 'harsh', so would be interested to see if that is in line with what you are looking for?

6 years ago I tried to compile a table of 'Shore A' hardness for the various Minor poly bush suppliers' offerings, but there was very little factual information available, apart from Polybush who said that their 'Blue' are 65 Shore and 'Red' are 85, and Superflex who said all theirs are 95 Shore.

ESM, Bull Motif, Charles Ware etc. either did not reply, or did not have any factual hardness data.

'Philthehill' has been in our Minor, so a fairly short trip, I wonder if he can comment on the 'ride quality'?
Richard

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Richard & Tootall

The ride quality was excellent and that was along Hampshire country lanes not billiard table surfaces.

Regarding shore hardness of the different colour spring bushes I have - Mike Nash visited me some time back and brought along his shore harness durometer and we measured all of the bushes I had purchased from different suppliers. If I remember they were all in the same shore spectrum.

He also checked the hardness of the genuine NOS BMC engine rubber mounts I have and those again genuine BMC rubber mounts fitted to my Minor.

He may still have the results squirrelled away somewhere and knowing Mike he will have them. :D

Tootall
Minor Friendly

Post by Tootall »

Thanks for the input guys...

Using the highly-scientific "squishing them between finger and thumb" scale, my red ones are firmer than the ones in the car.

I'm in Leamington Spa, so not too far away from Islip - I'd love to drive your car and see what it feels like... ideally (once it's passed its MOT again) I'd also like someone with experience to drive mine and suggest what might / should be done...

That will have to wait until I've done all the trunnions (including the upper left, which failed and are not available anywhere in the UK at the moment...)

The more I drive my modern, the more I think the Minor should be less of a roller-skate than it originally was, with lowering blocks and dropped a spline or two at the front - even though I liked the look of the lowered stance...

Am I getting old?
alawrence10360
Minor Fan

Post by alawrence10360 »

I have same issues at the moment.
I have removed a lowering kit and considering getting rid of the telescopic dampers
I owned a traveller 40 years ago but haven't driven others since I aquired my latest saloon and I too wonder if its actually a normal ride now. I certainly dont recall a harsh ride however my sunglasses are rose tinted..
alawrence10360
Minor Fan

Post by alawrence10360 »

I have same issues at the moment.
I have removed a lowering kit and considering getting rid of the telescopic dampers
I owned a traveller 40 years ago but haven't driven others since I aquired my latest saloon and I too wonder if its actually a normal ride now. I certainly dont recall a harsh ride however my sunglasses are rose tinted..
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Comparing the ride quality of a modern vehicle with the ride quality of a standard ex factory Morris Minor 1000 is like comparing chalk and cheese.

The two are completely different.

The modern has all the ride quality quirks designed out and removed by using computer technology and computer simulation - whilst the nearest the poor old Minor got to perfection was using the suck it and see method with extensive road testing and incorporating previous experience with torsion bar and cart spring technology and the use of the all important slide rule.

The Minor suspension is and will be harsh compared to modern cars.

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

philthehill wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:46 amThe Minor suspension is and will be harsh compared to modern cars.
I completely agree with you Phil, however, how do we know if our vehicle is as good as it can be? How much should the car shake, rattle and roll?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Well if the suspension is as manufactures spec you cannot ask for anything more and that is as good as it gets.
Anything less and the shake rattle and roil as you put it will not go away.
You can make the suspension better (or worse) if you are prepared to fettle but then it is not standard and then anything can happen to the shake rattle and roll.

It has to be remembered that the Minor was a new build using old technology.

IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

How much should the car shake, rattle and roll?
I only have one Minor to use as a basis for comment, and my wife bought it completely standard from my mother nearly 51 years ago.

By comparison with my memories of it, it was no shakier, rattlier or more rolly than other cars at the time, and ride and handling-wise better than many, even most small cars, excluding the Mini for handling, but ride?

Today, with some significant tweaks to the suspension (but still has front torsion bars and 7-leaf rear springs), it rides well, handles very well and is much quieter at normal road speeds than 50 years ago (straight-through exhaust, but more sound proofing). Around town the exhaust 'burble' is the most obvious 'noise', but otherwise the predominant 'noise' is wind, which inhibits conversation at >60mph. All convertibles 'shake', even modern ones, but there should not be any significant 'rattles', and 'roll' can be tamed with quite simple suspension mods!
Richard