Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alawrence10360
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Suspension/Steering knock

Post by alawrence10360 »

I have a knock when i go ver bumps on the pasenger side
I can feel some movement when i rock the wheel on that side which i cant feel on the drivers side
I intialy thought it was a ball joint but when taking it off i noticed the movement was on the steering rod going into the rack
Its really small in and out movement
I dont notice anything when moving the steering wheel
Is it likely that the rack needs replacing or is there something i can adjust ?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Suspension/Steering knock

Post by philthehill »

A common problem with Minor steering racks.
You can overhaul the Minor steering rack yourself.
Overhauling usually comprises of adjusting the shimming at either end of the rack and possibly the re-shimming the removeable knuckle on the end of the rack.

See link below for parts and location of shims:-

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... minor.html

Instructions for the overhaul of the steering rack are contained in the BMC/BL workshop manual.

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Check the damper bolts for tightness. Mine were slightly loose despite the locking tabs being fitted, my passenger side knock disappeared when they were properly tightened.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Mine had the problem exactly as Phil has described, it was the rack. I removed the adjustable ball but found that it was impossible to undo the female ball housing from the male. I was going to purchase a new rack until I read this http://www.spridgetguru.com/TA0141.html I knocked up a similar tool out of 12 mm plate and it worked, I removed two shims from the n/s. If you do find that its play in the rack, I would recommend purchasing a few new shims as the old ones will be destroyed and a new locking washer.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

When you rock the wheel, how are you holding it? It sounds like it is the rack, but you do need to check the trunnions and wheel bearing, and as others have said, shock absorber mounting. Also look at the tie rod, check bushes at front and yoke/bolt on the arm.
alawrence10360
Minor Fan

Post by alawrence10360 »

I originally held the track rod and found inandout movement and hoped it was the ball joint. however the movement was still there when moving the track rod in and out of the rack with the ball joint removed.
its a realy small movement
should there be any movement at all ?
its so small i beging to think im barking up tbe wrong tree
alawrence10360
Minor Fan

Post by alawrence10360 »

philthehill wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:03 pm A common problem with Minor steering racks.
You can overhaul the Minor steering rack yourself.
Overhauling usually comprises of adjusting the shimming at either end of the rack and possibly the re-shimming the removeable knuckle on the end of the rack.

See link below for parts and location of shims:-

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... minor.html

Instructions for the overhaul of the steering rack are contained in the BMC/BL workshop manual.
cheers Phil. Should there be any movement / clearance when moving the rod in and out ?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If there is wear the knuckle joint on the inner end of the link rod can move in and out.

Whilst the knuckle joint does eventually wear what movement you are experiencing may be the rack moving up and down in the rack housing. That wear can be removed by adjusting the shims at the thrust/wear pad at the end of the rack housing (items Nos: 86 - 89 in the link above.