Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Front drum brake set up to rear

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
This may be an odd question but I will be fitting disc brakes to the front of my car and wondered if there was any advantage to be gained by swapping the front dual cylinder set up to the rear of the car and would it improve braking performance at all?
Or would it make so little difference as to be not worth the trouble?
My car is from 1954, so I assume they are 7" front and rear.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ianmack
Minor Addict

Re: Front drum brake set up to rear

Post by ianmack »

Twin leading shoe brakes are efficient when the car is moving forwards but not when reversing as it then effectively has twin trailing shoes. This is why the rear brakes are single leading shoe so that one pair of shoes will lead for reverse braking.

Of course if you are having discs at the front this will alter the brake characteristics again. Personally I’d leave the rears as they are.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Front drum brake set up to rear

Post by philthehill »

As above.
If you want to fit better brakes on the rear of your Minor try and find a set of Wolseley 1500 8" rear brakes as they are a straight bolt on conversion and they will improve your braking enormously.

I have Marina discs on the front and Wolseley 1500 brakes on the rear without servo and the car will pull up very quickly.
Wolseley 1500 brakes.JPG
Wolseley 1500 brakes.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 439 times
The Wolseley rear 8" brakes use the same drums as the later Morris Minor 8" front brakes.

Here is Wolseley 1500 rear axle with brake assys and if original has the 3.9 diff which is much sought after.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOLSELEY-150 ... SwzBJdTxiJ