Front Wheel Bearings Issue

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ThomasDahl
MMOC Member: Yes

Front Wheel Bearings Issue

Post by ThomasDahl »

I am sorry if this has already been discussed, but I could not find a specific discussion about my issue.

My wife's daily driver failed MOT due to play in one of the front wheel bearings. So, I ordered two new bearing sets and stripped the front wheels back to the hubs.

I noticed before tapping out the old bearings that the long spacer that sits between the two bearings was floating around in a sea of grease. There was a lot of play and they would wiggle around in their grease lake.

I tapped out the bearings.

I then heated the hubs in an oven to about 70C and put the bearings in the freezer.

I could drop the new bearings into the hubs and then not tap them any further in. They seem to be seated 'well'. But, the outer bearing is not as far into the hub as photos seem to suggest that it should be. The spacer has easily half an inch of play.

What should I do? Looks like this was always the case.

We have driven this car almost daily for 37 years!

Is it safe?

Best Regards Thomas
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Re: Front Wheel Bearings Issue

Post by paul 300358 »

Have you put the bearings in the right way round? Have a look at https://www.mgexp.com/article/mg-midget ... rings.html. it's not exactly the same but is a similar set up.
ThomasDahl

Post by ThomasDahl »

I think so. I googled around and had already found the exp post you mentioned. Thanks for the link anyway.

I inserted the bearings with the 'markings' facing each other like most posts suggest you should.

If I had put them in back to front would they not drift in to the same depth anyway? The OD of the bearings seems constant over the length of the bearing.

Thank you for your help!
ThomasDahl

Post by ThomasDahl »

I fixed it by using some other old hubs I had. Not sure why the first ones were not doing their thing.. Anyway, that's my bin a bit heavier this week.

Never fitted front wheel bearings before. Learnt a few things. I am now pretty sure I could possibly have gotten away with just tightening the old ones a smidgen.

Anyway, took the opportunity to replace the whole front brake system while I was at it. New drums, cylinders, pipework etc.

It is amazing how inexpensive all these parts still are. Not just that, but the amount of work needed is really not much.

Thank you.