Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sandun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Water pump

Post by Sandun »

Hi my friends

There are two type of water pumps short empllor and long empllor .

Can you tell me the two types can fix with 948cc & 1098cc please ?

If not - what type can i use this two engines ,

Thank you.

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Water pump

Post by philthehill »

The 948cc and 1098cc engines should use the short impellor. Use the cast impeller type if possible as the pressed steel impellor is prone to rusting away.

The deep impellor water pump if fitted to the 948cc and 1098cc engine blocks are likely to foul the cylinder wall and not be able to rotate.

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Declan_Burns »

I believe that the long impeller can be used if you install a thicker gasket but I have never tried it.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The usual way of installing the longer impellor pump into a small block 'A' Series is to relieve the casting to the rear of the impellor but I would only do that if the engine was out and in pieces so that it could be given a good clean to get rid of the resulting cast iron grindings.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Phil, Declan - what you say is interesting, but raises the question of why ESM say the long impellor version fits the 1098 and 1275 engines with no mention of having to alter anything....https://www.morrisminorspares.com/cooli ... or-p829649
Even more confusingly, Bull Motif say the long impellor version (which they call 'late') fits 1098, 1275 and 'some 948' engines. Some?
https://www.bullmotifspares.co.uk/produ ... 294/10M294
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

I bought and fitted a new water pump to my 1098 engine . I was told by David Manners that the pump with the long impeller was not suitable and would foul !! Reason it came into the conversation was they were not certain that had the short impeller version in stock —- which they did !!!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The minimum distance from the front face of the water pump aperture to the cylinder wall casting ranges from 22.2mm to 23.2mm on the 948cc engine.

The Minor small block pump with the pressed steel impellor intrudes into the water jacket by 12mm.

I cannot confirm the depth of the impellor in the link below as I have just fitted the same pump to my Marina/Ital blocked engine.

All I can suggest is that the depth of the impellor is measured from the mounting face of the pump to the rear of the impellor and if less than 20mm it should clear.

When fitting the 1275cc Cooper S water pump (similar to the pump listed in the link below) to my 948cc block I had to relieve the cylinder wall to get it to fit without fouling.

There are quite a few different water pumps available and with different types of impellors, short, long, cast and pressed steel that care does need to be taken when selecting a replacement water pump.

See also:-
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

I’ve got a GWP134 (large impellor) in my garage ready for a new build, I’ll measure it later and report back.