Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Speedometer ser.no. coding?

Post by IslipMinor »

Not sure what is happening to posts, but I have just posted and it has gone in with a time stamp of 17.47 yesterday - I started looking at it then, but only actually posted a few minutes ago.
Richard

Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

It's Brexit.....

John :wink:
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Yup, and probably another million or so other problems will blame it as well!
Richard

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Just to get back on track and to round off this thread - I've just done 10.3 miles in my moggy. How do I know? 'Cos my milometer is now working. Woo-hoo, and best of all, I repaired it myself.

Thanks to a kind offer from another member (see p.1), I had the option of another comparable speedo, which I all but taken up, but after taking out my old one I decided to have a fiddle with it. After all, I couldn't make it worse as it didn't work before I fathomed out how to take it all apart and get to the actual gubbins of the thing!

I should have already guessed -like just about everything else on the car, the speedo mechanism is surprisingly simple, even crude :D . I realised that an 'L' shaped brass lever was not making contact with the ratchet on the numbers barrel, hence, no movement of the individual digits. I removed the lever, cleaned out a bit of dirt, replaced it and the holding spring and hey-presto, it all works! A bench test (of sorts) with an electrical screwdriver inserted where the cable from the gearbox goes gave me enough confidence to reassemble it and reinstall it. My road test confirmed that everything was still Ok.

The moral of the tale, I suppose, is that sometimes it's worth having a go yourself......even if you don't know what you're doing :D . Obviously, there's an implied warning of 'do not try this at home' for safety critical repairs (brakes, steering etc. etc.).

I know I got a bit lucky here as, in the end, it was quite a simple repair. Apart from the bit of cash I've saved, by far the greatest satisfaction, is discovering I could do it myself. Who knew? :D
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Well done! :D :P :)
Wakko866
MMOC Member: No

Post by Wakko866 »

first off hello all,, sorry to jump on the back of this as its all done and dusted but seems as good a place as any

new to the group and to the morris life, my partner just inherited her uncles 1970 1000, which is nothing short of a delight,, we drove her back from denmark end of october which was rather an adventure,, i am intrested in swaping the speedo out as it is in KM/H and mph small and all though durring the day this is fine its a little bit of guess work when it comes to driving at night,,

so i would like to swap out the speedo for a MPH and km/h in small, as such i would ass-u-me that the sn numbe which is 4423/05 would not help me much the following number which is under the odometer is 808, am i correct in thinking this is the "speed" of the gears? tpm? number is the important one in terms of replacing, is there a way to change the speed on the gear box end? if one had to? failing that could i swap the black faceplate if i find one that is not an arm and a leg with a different tpm, (not my favourite solution)
if it is worth doing it is worth doing right. After all, a temporary solution will stay the solution until it stops working
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Hi Wakko
Not area of 'expertise' by any means since my Basil is some 15 years older and doesn't have Kms on the gauge.
But my thoughts are that you'll have a problem getting a reconditioned one because they are all sold on exchange, with a hefty surcharge.

if you look here for example, ESM offer 4 different 4423 variants, all with £60 surcharge against the return of a matching item.
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/search/4423

It'd be more cost effective to find one on ebay and swap the faces over, assuming yours is working well.
Basil the 1955 series II

Wakko866

Post by Wakko866 »

thanks for the response geoberni

i have precured another speedo 4423/04, which i bought at a steel, so worst case i can trade this one in to avoid the surcharge, my main concern is how does one check which is correctly geared especially if it's not in miles and is not even on this list http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/ID/Speedo.htm though it seems all the 4423 sn have the same axle ratio except for the 00 not sure if that even matters, mine works perfectly well the only issue with changing the face will be the odometer will tic over in km so not the best solution

would it make sense to post this somewhere else?
if it is worth doing it is worth doing right. After all, a temporary solution will stay the solution until it stops working
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Wakko
you are seriously confusing any practical discussion of your question by posting across 2 different Topics.

Here, and over on 'Swapping Speedos' viewtopic.php?f=11&t=52465&p=646435#p646432

I strongly recommend you start your own fresh Topic on this, otherwise the situation is only going to get worse with random bits of discussion occurring in both topics.
Basil the 1955 series II

Wakko866

Post by Wakko866 »

Thank you I do agree,

I just got overly excited after a very long day of work, I will make it a topic, was trying to avoid asking the same questions again, in a new topic but prehaps it wod make the most sense though I have all but got the awnser now!!

Thank you