Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
John Jones
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Trunnion Pin

Post by John Jones »

Hi All
I'm new to the forum, and Moggies, hope someone can help.
I've just screwed the bottom trunnion onto the king pin, and the horizontal pin won't pass the king pin, Is this an inaccuracy in the product or am I doing something stupid,
pgp001
Minor Addict

Re: Trunnion Pin

Post by pgp001 »

It depends on how far you have screwed it onto the swivel pin, there is a groove in the thread to allow the trunnion pin to pass across it.

You need to get these aligned so the swivel pin is in the "straight ahead" position, this will allow the pin to pass the thread, and then make sure the trunnion can twist freely in both directions to allow enough movement for each lock when you turn the steering.

Phil

PS. Where are you based, it is possible someone local to you might be good enough to pop in and help you out.
John Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by John Jones »

I've tried screwing it different amounts to line up with the groove but with on joy
John Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by John Jones »

Bangor north wales

bango
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Hi again, Bangor is too far for me I am in West Yorkshire ( We are thinking of a holiday in North Wales next Summer though )

On your trunnion you will probably have a very thin walled tube inside sitting between the two bushes, it is very easy for this to get distorted and make assembly difficult, dont ask me how I know.
I had to remove the steel sleeve on one of my trunnions before I could get the pin to pass through when assembled onto the swivel pin. I believe a lot of the new trunnions do not even have the sleeves fitted anymore, I think the sleeve was meant to retain grease more efficiently but it seems to work fine without it. To remove it you need to distort it enough so it will pull out past the bush.
It might be worth making sure the trunnion pin goes through easily before you try it on the swivel pin. Is everything totally clean with no bits of road dirt getting trapped or anything ?

I assume the trunnion is a new replacement item that you are exchanging for a worn one ?

Phil
John Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by John Jones »

I have managed to get the pin through, but it only turns a quarter turn, it seems to be fouling the thread. It comes to a stop when all the way on and a stop when it hits the thread when backed off a quarter turn.
John Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by John Jones »

I have lined the old and new together, and there is an obvious difference , the hole for the pin on the new is about 3mm higher.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

John

If I were you I would give the supplier a ring and quiz him about the difference in design before you do anything else.
Is there a steel sleeve between the bushes ?. If so you might still be able to remove it to gain enough clearance.

Ask the supplier before you do remove it though, as they might suggest returning it for a replacement.

I personally have not seen trunnions that are so obviously different, and I cannot think of another vehicle that they could have got it mixed up with when supplying the part. I think Marina ones are so different that the will not fit at all, so maybe this one is a revised design for the Minor. Someone else might have more information or experience of this.

Phil
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The trunnion has to be screwed up/down on the swivel just sufficiently to allow the trunnion pin to fit past the relieved Minor swivel threads.

Just screw the trunnion up or down to allow the trunnion pin to pass through the relieved part of the swivel bottom thread whilst still allowing the swivel to turn 180 degrees from left to right. The trunnion should not be screwed fully home on the swivel.

I have never come across any variances in the trunnion pin.

As regards the loose centre sleeve fitted between the two bottom trunnion bronze bearings - it is most important that it is retained as it deflects the grease to the trunnion threads. If it is removed or not fitted the grease will just go straight out of the trunnion without any grease going to the swivel/trunnion threads.

The Marina/Ital trunnion pin is the same outside diameter and length as the Minor trunnion pin - the only difference between the two is that the Marina/ital trunnion pin has longer threaded tails. The Marina/Ital trunnion pins are of a better quality/finish compared to the Minor trunnion pins and they are surfaced hardened as well. I use the Marina/Ital trunnion pins in my Minor lower trunnions. I also use the Marina/Ital trunnion thrust washers and the trunnion seals as they are both of a better quality than the standard Minor thrust washers and trunnion seals.
The Marina/Ital bottom trunnion will not fit the Minor as it has a larger diameter thread for both trunnion and swivel.

John Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by John Jones »

Thanks for that, I will be on the case on Monday