Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: fuel pump

Post by geoberni »

docgibbons wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:56 am good idea. where did you get it? i was thinking of getting some hazard warning lights fitted at charles ware, costs around £90 i think.
See my post from 2018: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=69199

The one I brought is no longer available, but similar ones are currently about £16 e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24LED-Amber- ... SwgGJdu~sw

Far brighter than having 4 way hazards in standard Minor lights (although I've got that too).
Basil the 1955 series II

kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

Mine came from ebay for around £15, as said far brighter, more visible because it is higher and uses less electric than hazards. Also if you have more than one classic you can take it from car to car.
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

is there anyone who refurbishes the fuel pumps .i dont have the brains to do mine and it needs doing.

thanks dave
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Get a refurbished SU fuel pump from club spares.

noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

thanks for that but i want to use the original pump .so as the car is kept original

dave
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Strange one this week. Having brought one of the Sidevalves back into use I suffered a fuel pump intermittenet failure. Single points on it so I wasn't overly surprised. I changed it for a rebuilt one in the boot and it worked, but, the noise was like a lump hammer being used and the ticking was maybe twice as often as the old one. So, what might be different?? New diaphragm, new points etc and set as per the manual. First one I've ever rebuilt that did this.
Cardiff, UK
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

noidea

Once you have the fuel pump refurbished it will not be original !

Sometimes you have to be pragmatic about these things.

Phil

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Rob
Whilst the inlet and outlet valves rarely fail it sounds to me as if you have a problem with one or both of the valves.

Phil

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I did wonder if the inlet valve was stuck a bit open but if I leave the ign on with no engine running then it only ticks once every 10-15 seconds, suggesting that it is not leaking back into the fuel line. I'm trying to twist my brain round the idea of a leaking outlet valve...1.5 psi in the long hose but does the pressure in thepump chamber drop back to zero once it has stopped pushing into the hose.
Long weekend at work...brain fading..fading...
Cardiff, UK
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

hi phil

i see what your saying but i no nothing about any part of the car .thought they would just renew the inside .and leave the outside as it is .the whole car is original and trying to keep it that way .apart from the obvious tyres brakes ect.

dave
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Dave - if you gave the pump to someone to refurbish, as opposed to exchange for a good one, that is what they would do. So it would look exactly the same externally but with new internal components (diaphragm, valves, points etc.).
But it may not need a complete overhaul - try lightly cleaning the points under the cap first.
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

will try that

thanks dave