By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Early Steering Column Bush

Post by geoberni »

Hi All,
Hope you all had a great Christmas.
So, took Basil for a brief drive just after dark to check the new LED Headlights (that I'll post about later) only a quick 5 minutes around the block so to speak, the Steering was quite stiff when manoeuvring off the drive, but seemed to get easier.... when I got home, I realised the bush had popped out.
20191229_173059.jpg
20191229_173059.jpg (498.56 KiB) Viewed 913 times
As the Manual doesn't seem to say anything that I can find, has anyone get recommendations for how to get it back in?

Anyone got a recommended lubrication method as I can find nothing in Section P/PP.

I assume it has popped out because it wasn't lubricated and turning the steering wheel dragged it out on place....
Basil the 1955 series II

oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Early Steering Column Bush

Post by oliver90owner »

Looks like it is worn out, to me. Time to turn up a new one, or buy one in?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

oliver90owner wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:25 am Looks like it is worn out, to me. Time to turn up a new one, or buy one in?
It's rubber (ish), soft & pliable. https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/31 ... bush-early

In the absence of any other suggestions over the holiday period, I've pushed it back in place with a small coating of light oil on the metal faces of the column and the bracket, pulling the column across in one direction while pushing the bush in on the opposite side, top, bottom, left & right until it was all the way down.
With a bit of luck the oil will soak in, cause no damage to whatever it's made of, and stop it squeaking. :wink:
It's an original MOWOG part :o
20191231_150110.jpg
20191231_150110.jpg (147.22 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks for the link to the part geoberni, that is useful to note in itself.
I have the same set up as you, so it's good to know they are still available.
I can't imagine the oil will hurt the rubber but it might run out and make a mess elsewhere (will it interfere with the horn contact on the steering column behind the bracket?).
I might use some red grease I have, if mine ever pops out.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Clear waxoyl on the bush might be another idea?
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Candle wax heated up and poured in? Might stay in longer?
Cardiff, UK
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:37 pm Thanks for the link to the part geoberni, that is useful to note in itself.
I have the same set up as you, so it's good to know they are still available.
Having looked again at the manual (Sect J) for a while I was beginning to have doubts.... :-?

J2 is a terrible expanded view drawing, since it makes the slip ring appear in front of the mounting bracket, rather than behind it.
part 43 is described as a 'Bush, while 42 is a 'Sleeve - Rubber'.
Steering 1.JPG
Steering 1.JPG (80.61 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Steering2.JPG
Steering2.JPG (105.15 KiB) Viewed 791 times
A more accurate and useful exploded view is something like this......
Steering 1A.jpg
Steering 1A.jpg (125.67 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Here's the parts assembled with the relevant numbers.....
2001010056A.jpg
2001010056A.jpg (644.3 KiB) Viewed 791 times
2001010059A.jpg
2001010059A.jpg (838.26 KiB) Viewed 791 times
it's very likely that the brass bush is applied hot and an interference fit. The part sold as a Bush, is clearly the Sleeve - Rubber. On the ESM site it is listed as being "Steering Column Rubber Bush MM"

I used a little 3in1 type oil, just enough to lubricate the metal surfaces, inner and outer.
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

J2 is a terrible expanded view drawing, since it makes the slip ring appear in front of the mounting bracket, rather than behind it.
I see what you mean, the top one of your two diagrams seems particularly out of sequence.
We can only assume it made sense to the technical experts at Morris / BMC that compiled it.

On the plus side their wiring diagram for my car made light work of my (dreaded) rewire, so I'm not going to complain, too much........ :wink:

Especially as the Morris Motors complaints hotline seems to be disconnected for some reason??........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)