Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggiegeek
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Engine rebuilt. A few storage questions

Post by moggiegeek »

Just finished building up 1275, minispares ST3 head, Kent 266 cam, HIf44, K+N, with Maniflow manifolds, uprated clutch, Vernier duplex. Steel bearing caps and crankshaft oil seal courtesy of Peter May Engineering. New dizzy and uprated oil pump. Has ESm backplate and MG 1275 box.
So very happy and many thanks for all the questions patiently answered.
It won't get installed until the summer so how best to keep it lubricated and rust free.
I wondered about filling with oil, wedging in place and turning over on the starter whilst avoiding flywheel and clutch???
Advice welcome?
I'll post some photos when I can
liammonty
Minor Legend

Re: Engine rebuilt. A few storage questions

Post by liammonty »

Presumably it was built with lashings if engine assembly lube? If so, I suspect that will do a better job of keeping it protected than oil as it’s so sticky, so I wouldn’t worry about circulating oil round it and potentially washing the assembly lube off. It would be worth popping some oily rags in any open orifices though, to keep the damp out, and keep it somewhere not too damp!
moggiegeek
Minor Fan

Post by moggiegeek »

Lashings of assembly lube as you say. So just turn it over by hand every now and then.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

When you turn the engine over - turn it over an odd number of compressions (say three). This makes sure that the same valve springs are not subject to being statically compressed every time you turn it over.

My own engine has lashings of engine oil down the bores, when stored the sump is drained and the engine is turned over three compressions at least every two weeks.

You can use a fogging oil which reduces moisture absorption and as above plug all apertures with oily rags once the engine has been fogged.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Oil-Sup ... Sw44BYCOKx

You can also get moisture absorbing sticks which replace the plugs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dehydrator-E ... xyV85R3Hpn