Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggiegeek
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Heated rear window. Saloon

Post by moggiegeek »

Wanted to pass on a tip for those changing rear windows whether heated or not. Having struggled to do this job once successfully on a blisteringly hot day decided to get an expert autoglass installer to put in new heated screen.
If you live in the Southwest then the Bath branch of National Windscreens were brilliant. Helpful, skilled and experienced.
Top tips... ensure the metal aperture is rust and filler free, ground down to a smooth edge, rust treated and painted and that the paint is hard. Best lubricant is screen cleaner because it evaporates rather than silicone that converts the screen into a bar of soap. For nudging the screen into place they use a small sandbag. Fit rubber to screen and then assembly to car. Finally if the rubber is hard then heat it in hot - boiling- water.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Re: Heated rear window. Saloon

Post by Declan_Burns »

One guy here who fits screens told me to put the rubber in the washing machine with plenty of "Lenor".
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

This expert guy...he's not married then? Or perhaps he's got a washing machine in his garage? :o
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

That could very well be!
Regards
Declan :lol:

Regards
Declan
mattyguk1
Minor Fan

Post by mattyguk1 »

Hi, Did they fit it from inside or outside ? I've just fitted mine from the inside and although the seals not torn it is marked which doesnt look to good!