Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dalebrignall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Help With Engine Rebuild/Larger Head

Post by dalebrignall »

i have more or less got this set up with a sw5 camshaft it goes very well its not a racer but you do have good tourque for overtaking lorries i tend to cruise at 55/ 60 its happy at that speed
[sig]5641[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Here is a suitable crankshaft damper:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENIUNE-BRIT ... SwXDpc8TL4

liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

dalebrignall wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:29 pm i have more or less got this set up with a sw5 camshaft it goes very well its not a racer but you do have good tourque for overtaking lorries i tend to cruise at 55/ 60 its happy at that speed
SW5 gets really good press, and was good in my engine while I had it (the 07 version) but I had trouble with the distributor drive gear on it and ended up replacing it. What you need to remember with the SW5 is that it's quite a bit higher lift than a standard cam (or indeed the MG Metro cam) so you will have more of an issue with valve clearance if you are fitting an SW5 in combination with a 12G940 head.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

philthehill wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:00 am I suspect that this is the sandwich plate Declan is referring to:-

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search

I have had to use the same sandwich plate on my Minor fitted with the 940 head.
The side outlet can be tapped and blocked with a brass plug.

100_3406.JPG

I used three rocker cover studs (smothered in Copper grease) instead of the special BL screws.
Looks like an Allegro part to me!

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les
Sorry if I am preaching to the converted but it does not really matter if Allegro or not, it does the job in that it raises the thermostat housing the required amount.
Secondly some 940 heads do not have the facility to fit a thermostat. The spacer allows the fitment of a thermostat as the spacer has a recess for the thermostat rim in its top face.
The head shown in the photo cannot accept a thermostat therefore requires the spacer. The thermostat housing is from a Marina as I need to be able to fill the block from the housing.

Phil
100_3409.JPG
100_3409.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 809 times

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Hi Phil, I wasn’t thinking it mattered, just having owned a couple of Allegro Estates, it brought back memories of a familiar sight. :D I’ve thought now and then about restoring an Allegro, a much maligned vehicle but in realty I think them days are over.