Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alawrence10360
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Wheels

Post by alawrence10360 »

I’ve got pick up wheels with 165 70 14 tyres on my saloon however the spare wheel doesn’t fit where it should.
I was wondering if I could use a standard wheel as a spare or would it be possible to move the shelf in the boot to accommodate the wider wheel
Anyone have any thoughts?
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Wheels

Post by les »

A standard wheel for a spare sounds a practical idea under the circumstances. Modern cars that actually have spares, have wheels that just do as a temporary measure.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Wheels

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
It depends what you want from a spare. Do you want it to function the same as the rest or is it just to get you home?
The advantage of having a matching spare is that you can leave it in place once the flat is fixed (and that can simply go in the boot as the spare - job done).
A standard wheel will do to get you home but if the rest are wider then it will cause an imbalance and will have to be replaced ASAP.
As for modern 'space savers' they are more commonly know as a 'waste of space'!! :roll:
I swapped to an standard sized spare on my Polo, as soon as I could get hold of a second hand wheel. Fits in the well no problem.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)