By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alawrence10360
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

MOT

Post by alawrence10360 »

I was looking the .gov website and found this regarding requirement for MOT

Engine
Alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative original equipment engines are not considered to be a substantial change.

If the number of cylinders in an engine is different from the original it’s likely to be, but not necessarily, the case that the current engine is not alternative original equipment.

The question is does this apply to a change to a 1275 engine ?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-criteria
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: MOT

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Possibly not, as long as it an 'A' series engine and simply one four cylinder engine for another (of the same type).
I informed the DVLA when I changed Abby's engine out for a 1275 Midget engine and had no issues with them at all.
I provided them with pictures and a mechanics report stating that what I had done was basically 'fit for purpose' and apart from her new logbook stating 1275 instead of 1098, that was that.
There was no reg change to 'Q' plate or any of that nonsense.
Mind you that was a few years back when we were still dealing with 'humans' at the DVLA.
I don't know what they would have done in the case of a more radical change of engine swap to a 'K' series for example, or for someone fitting a V8 but that has never interested me anyway.
And as for a minor change from 803 to 948 'A' series, as long as your insurance company is informed, I wouldn't bother. So many have had that change over the years that I doubt the DVLA would be really interested.
If in any doubt get it checked out by a professional to make sure what you have done is safe though.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

The change should not particularly change an MOT - still the same weight and component parts.

However it will change your insurance cover. Or possibly void it, if the insurer has not been allowed to take any alterations into account for their assessment of risk.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

If uprating the engine then don't forget the basics like improving the brakes and ensuring that the suspension is in good condition, and checking that the rest of the drive train can handle the increased power. You don't need to go mad, and the car will still probably be 90% original, but you do need to allow for using the increased power.