Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
acmsb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Banjo fitting on rear brake

Post by acmsb »

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice on a rear brake matter for my 1969 Morris Traveller. Last year we overhauled all the brakes (drum), including the brake lines and fittings. We got new banjo fittings for the rear wheels, including copper washers etc.

We discovered last week that the copper washers on the banjo fitting on the left rear brake (near side) weren't sealing properly. So the brake fluid was oozing out of the fitting. And the whole banjo unit seems to move when the brake pedal is pressed. So even when we got it sealed properly, it would move again when we braked.

Has anyone else had a similar thing?

Best wishes

Alex
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Banjo fitting on rear brake

Post by philthehill »

Are you saying that the banjo moves relative to the wheel cylinder i.e. becomes loose and moves independently of the wheel cylinder or other?

The banjo and wheel cylinder as one do move when the brake pedal is pressed. The brake cylinder centralises when the brake shoes make contact with the drum.

Are the copper washers copper or are they copper finished steel. If they are copper anneal before fitting. If copper finished steel discard and fit fully copper washers. Use a magnet to see if the washers contain steel.