Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dawpooldad
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Steering Wheel Swap

Post by dawpooldad »

Hi having recently bought a '68 1098 2 door saloon, I'm disappointed in the plastic later steering wheel.
Question, can I swap this for the earlier three spoke "Banjo" wheel and if so, is it a straight swap?
Tia
Dawpooldad
Now have a 1968 Trafalgar Blue saloon. Previously the chauffeur/mechanic to a 1954 Series 2 that actually belonged to the missus. It Had been in the family for 36 years and was affectionately know as "Mowwisss" as christened by my daughters when they were younger.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Steering Wheel Swap

Post by Declan_Burns »

A lot of owners have done it. It is a straight swap just be careful with the horn push and disconnect the battery. ESM has reproduction steering wheels but at a price!
Regards
Declan
Attachments
Steering_wheel_1.jpg
Steering_wheel_1.jpg (411.01 KiB) Viewed 808 times

Regards
Declan
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

The horn push assemblies are different so you'll need one of them too. Other than that it's a straight swap.
dawpooldad
Minor Friendly

Post by dawpooldad »

Thanks guys, it looks like I'm on the lookout for a "banjo" then!!!
Now have a 1968 Trafalgar Blue saloon. Previously the chauffeur/mechanic to a 1954 Series 2 that actually belonged to the missus. It Had been in the family for 36 years and was affectionately know as "Mowwisss" as christened by my daughters when they were younger.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Many people prefer the look of the earlier steering wheel, but remember that the later one is correct for your vehicle, and the design was changed to improve safety. If you were ever unfortunate enough to be invovled in an accident, then the later wheel collapses whereas the earlier one increases injuries to the chest. Of course, neither have a modern collapsible column (although the bracket holding the column to the dash should break), and seat belts help matters. It's still your vehicle and a personal choice, just so long as you are aware of the implications.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)