smooth gearbox no side to side gate/resistance

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
steveseal
MMOC Member: No

smooth gearbox no side to side gate/resistance

Post by steveseal »

Hi, first time i've posted, just after some advice from you bunch of very knowledgable people :wink:
Just fitted a second hand (like for like) smooth gearbox to my 1098 moggy van.
Old box just crunched in every gear even when double de clutching up or down and although thought clutch came to realisation that it was probably the box as clutch and adjustment itself seemed fine so took it out to check the clutch at same time.
After a lot of umfing and grunting in and out under the van eventually managed to pop the second hand one in. The clutch was actually like new so was able to refit.
With trepidation took van out for a spin, with joy to find no crunching and smooth changes (so a big thank you to the guy who i bought the box from)
The only problem is that there is no resistance in the gate side to side at all. it slops from side to side and of course across into reverse i can imagine if you're not careful.
While obviously useable like this, and 100 x better than previously i was wondering if anyone had experienced this before and if there is a simple fix?
gut says it maybe a seized ball and plunger somewhere as the box has been sitting in my garage for a year and god knows how long before that, so may have just gunked up perhaps?
Don't want to take it all out again if there's potentially a simple fix?

any ideas?
Steve
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: smooth gearbox no side to side gate/resistance

Post by ManyMinors »

Have you fitted the correct gearstick? The 948cc smoothcase gearbox and the 1098cc ribbed case gearbox use a similar looking but different gearstick. If you fit the wrong one it'll work but the gearchange will be poor. Otherwise, maybe you could fit the remote from your previous gearbox?
steveseal

Post by steveseal »

didn't think of that, looked the same to me but you may be right I'll take a look, thank you.
can i do the remote in situ, with the cross member disconnected (gearbox supported obvs) don't want to be taking it all out again! :cry:
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Yes, no need to undo the gearbox crossmember, simply unbolt the 8 (IIRC) remote housing bolts.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
steveseal

Post by steveseal »

thank you, i'll give it a go :wink: