Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuupnorth
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

brake fluid

Post by stuupnorth »

Hi guys
in the process of fitting front discs,servo and a new m/c with a remote reservoir
and new brake pipes is it worth using silicone brake fluid or stick to dot4 ?
les
Minor Maniac

Re: brake fluid

Post by les »

If you have new brake components, silicone is an option. I use it and have had no problems, wheel cylinders don’t tend to seize up with this fluid. It’s more expensive, so many people still use dot 4 and are happy, so it’s a personal choice,

alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

New system - silicone.
Had it in the Morris for over 10 years never had a problem. I would have it in our other cars if I was starting from scratch, instead it all has to be replaced every 2 years - a bit of a no brainer in my eyes!

Alan
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Interesting, as I am just converting to discs, new master cylinder, Cunifer brake lines and Goodrich hoses, so will look into silicone brake fluid as well (I mention the last two items, as I have done this before and consider them a good safety upgrade, worth a mention for anyone considering this or just renewing their pipes and hoses).
I have heard this fluid is impervious to moisture / water, which is what makes it so long lasting. That said does it have a working life limit, at which point it would need replacing?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I replaced the whole braking system in the 1990s and have only had to replace silicon fluid when I had to replace the master cylinder two years ago. It is much more expensive, but my rear brakes never seize up like they used to.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Silicone every time, no contest. As others have said, it virtually removes corrosion of components and never needs changing. Moreover, if you spill any then it won't act as paint stripper. I've had it in the travellers with discis and the saloon with standard brakes for over 25 years and no trouble at all. You must observe cautions about flushing and changing seals is swapping from DOT4.
fasthamster
Minor Friendly

Post by fasthamster »

stuupnorth wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:52 pm Hi guys
in the process of fitting front discs,servo and a new m/c with a remote reservoir
and new brake pipes is it worth using silicone brake fluid or stick to dot4 ?
Hi,

Following up on your thread as I have a similar question.
Did you ever manage to fit a brake fluid reservoir tank for use with silicone brake fluid, if so would you be able to help me in sourcing a supplier of a similar kit please? :)

Regards,
Robert
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

"Did you ever manage to fit a brake fluid reservoir tank for use with silicone brake fluid"
Never felt it necessary.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.