Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sandun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Engine value seal

Post by Sandun »

Hi , I hope all of you Fine and stay at home

Please any one can Explain to me , how to replace value seal (thd rubber washer ) without remove engine head. Removing engine i think not a good idea in this situation.

I head about rope method , but i dont know how to place it and how i know it correctly set , befor remove value spring .

Hey .. Simmitc , Declan , phil , MarkyB & all my friends
Please safe and stay at home
Many thanks
Sandun
Sri Lanka .

Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Engine value seal

Post by Chipper »

I think you mean the valve stem oil seals, in which case, yes, you can remove the spark plugs and insert a length (say, a foot or so) of thin rope into the engine cylinder via the spark plug hole, and turn the engine on the crank handle until the piston is near the top, whereupon the rope should squash up against the valves, enabling you to release the collets, collet retainer and valve spring(s) using a suitable tool, which then allows the seal to be replaced.

As for a suitable tool, you could for instance, use a suitable sized ball joint splitter fork to push down on the top of the valve collet retainer, then remove the collets, and gently release the spring pressure.

Be careful not to end up with a valve spring pinging off into your face - best to wear goggles, and maybe a balaclava!
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Engine value seal

Post by philthehill »

Sandun
The little rubber washers/'O' rings are next to useless as regards keeping oil away from the valve stem.

BMC found them so useless that they discontinued the seal and the shroud.

Personally unless you are going to replace the valve guides and fit top hat seals I would not bother.

Thank you for your concerns - I am keeping safe here in the UK - you and your family must do the same. We will all see better times soon.

Phil