Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MattsGPOvan
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Strange ticking noise

Post by MattsGPOvan »

Rear Crank oil seal or gearbox oil seal ( mod ) or scoll and housing leaking oil ....

And flicking it all over the Bell housing and also into the starter motor engagement Pinion....

Try taking out starter and washing the pinion in petrol...... When dry just bolt it back in.....Do not oil the shaft it slides on !!!!

Also check for wear on the starter motor ring gear

Your clicking noise might have been the Starter pinion not releasing itself ????.
MattsGPOvan
Minor Friendly

Post by MattsGPOvan »

Also some of the Chinese starter motors are causing lots of problems....!!!!!!
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Donald Ross »

Hello

Thanks for the suggestions.

My car (unusually for a minor) does not seem to drip or lose oil from anywhere at all. I filled the gearbox oil 2 years a go and the oil level is still exactly the same. The engine does not seem to use any oil ether and after a year of around 2000 miles there is no noticeable change on the dip stick so if it did have a leek it must be very small.

It did have a slight drip from the rear crank oil seal but this seems to have sorted its self some how and it has not been dripping for about a year now. I park the car on the same garage floor all year round and over that time it was hardly noticeable on the ground so this is not likely. ( The engine, gearbox was rebuilt 9000 miles ago)

I did however discover tonight that for the past 2 years the clutch adjustment lock nut had been missing and the clutch free play was at 65mm rather than 38mm. I have now adjusted this and fitted a lock nut and the car changes gear much smoother now. Could this have been the problem causing the clutch to rub or something.

Normally the noise cant be heard at all when the car is anything below full temperature so I will need to take it a 5 or 10 mile drive to find out for sure if this was the issue (will do so in the next week).

That's also strange. Why is it that it is only heard when the car is a full operating temperature? Could it have been the heat in the clutch?

Time will tell.

Thanks again
Donald
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly

Post by Donald Ross »

Hello again

Here is a photo of my gearbox and clutch linkage now with the lock nut in place and adjusted.

I noticed the rubber gator as seen in the photo on the clutch leaver was loose so when I went to put it back into place I noticed it is actually a original MOWOG rubber gator from the factory. Very surprising considering it is over 50 years old.
Attachments
IMG_20200607_192456168.jpg
IMG_20200607_192456168.jpg (4.55 MiB) Viewed 1110 times
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly

Post by Donald Ross »

It now sounds like it is the starter motor rubbing against the flywheel when it heats up.

Another possibility i have come up with is that my gearbox still has the original scroll front oil seal. Could it just be the sound of the shaft and oil rubbing against this. Only does it when hot so i assume the metal expands a tiny amount just enough for this to happen.

I have replaced the 20w-50 oil in the gearbox with fresh 20w-50 and the noise is slightly less noticeable but it is still there.

As i have said before i am not worried about it as it has always done it but i would like to know what it is.

The front oil seal would make sense as it actually is not really a oil seal.

Has anyone had this before and is it fairly normal?

Any more ideas and it would be appriceated.

Thanks
Donald
BNStudios1

Post by BNStudios1 »

Hi there,

I know this is a far-fetched idea but my car was off the road for nearly a year while I tried to work out what a very loud metallic ticking noise was - it actually turned out to be that the rear supporting arm for the oil pickup gauze in the sump was bent slightly, and was knocking lightly against the crank as it came round on each revolution. The noise went away as I pushed the clutch in, as the forward pressure from the clutch pedal pushed the crank forwards slightly, away from the bent arm.

Listening to your Youtube clip your noise is a higher frequency and far less audible than mine was so it is highly unlikely to be this, but I just thought I would mention it!
Also mine started making the noise after an engine rebuild when I must have bent the arm accidentally, so if you have not done any work in that area then its even less likely to be this...

Best of luck though!
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly

Post by Donald Ross »

Hello Again

I think i may have finally come to the bottom of the strange noise.

I have spoken to a mechanic with 55 years experience on these cars and he suspects that the carbon bush on the clutch selector arm is rubbing slightly on the input shaft (more audible when it heats up) causing the noise. Certainly sounds like it is coming from that area so i suspect he is correct. It is therefore not causing any harm and i am happy to live with it.

Since i purchased the car it has made the noise and i have now done about 2500 miles with no changes at all.

I am relieved i now almost certainly know what the noise is.

Thanks Again for all your help.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You do need to confirm what the noise is. You should not just live with it.
If the carbon thrust is rubbing against the first motion shaft it can wear the carbon thrust pad away to the point that the carbon thrust breaks up and you will be left with no clutch and a hefty bill.

Philthehill - Who is a fully qualified time served motor vehicle mechanic with 56 years experience of Morris Minors. :wink:

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

If it was the release bearing catching on the 1st motion shaft, I would have expected the noise to change or disappear as the clutch pedal was operated. There would be a position mid stroke where it was not touching.

Oddly enough I have a ticking noise that has recently started, it is only there when the engine is cold and only under load.
It is not pinking, but I suspect it might be the UJ at the front of the propshaft. Though why it only does it when cold I have no idea.

Phil P
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It is not a question of whether it is touching at either end of the arc or free mid position. If it is touching at any part of the arc it must be rectified.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I agree, but I just meant it should be easy to identify if the noise changes when the pedal is moved.

Phil P
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly

Post by Donald Ross »

Hello Again

After closer inspection turns out that the carbon bush is in perfect condition and is not rubbing. I had not explained correctly that if you depress the clutch or not it does not change the noise which ruled out the gearbox anyway.

Thankfully i have now fixed the noise. It actually turned out to be the alternator. It was lined up in correctly.

Thanks for all your help.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

It just goes to show that strange noises are not always easy to identify.
Your mechanic with 55 years experience diagnosed a fault at the wrong end of the engine :D

Glad it turned out to be something simple and cheap to fix.

Phil P
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

One of the easiest things to do when diagnosing such a noise is to remove the fanbelt. If the noise disappears then the fault must lie within the water pump, dynamo or alternator area - or can sometimes be the bottom pulley breaking up. Goodness knows why a mechanic didn't try that......
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly

Post by Donald Ross »

Yes im glad i have sorted the problem.

Just to note i had only spoken to the mechanic about it he did not actually look at the car.

Happy Motoring