Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
shivey
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

clutch relay shaft misaligned

Post by shivey »

Hi All.,engine and gearbox sitting in nicely,previously I had 950 engine and box in would the thicker 1098 back plate make a difference to the position of the clutch relay,it looks like the whole unit wants going forward,new front mounts and lh and rh towers fitted any help appreciated...Glyn,getting to old for this :D picture attached
Attachments
P1010666.jpg
P1010666.jpg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 1032 times
P1010664.jpg
P1010664.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1032 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: clutch relay shaft misaligned

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I've just fitted a 948 engine with a 1098 gearbox mated to it, using the thicker 1098 engine backplate and had no issues at all.
So I would say it's out of alignment somewhere but not because of that.
Try slackening off all the gearbox rubber mounting bolts and remove the two (each side) that bolt them to the gearbox (you may need to slacken off the engine mounting's nuts as well).
With this free to move, try repositioning it again and see where you end up.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

From distant memory (we now have a Toyota 5-spd), if the metal gearbox to crossmember mountings are switched side-to-side, it will position the whole engine/gearbox assembly wrongly - is that right? The rubber mounts are symmetrical, but the metal ones are handed left and right. Might be worth swapping the metal mounts over and see if it helps?
Richard

shivey
Minor Friendly

Post by shivey »

Thanks guys I've taken all the mounts off now i'll get the relay lined up and go from there. let you know
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Make sure that you have the front engine mount towers correct - they are handed and if not fitted to the correct side will move the engine position which makes everything out of line.
Alignment of the gearbox starts at the front engine mounts.

shivey
Minor Friendly

Post by shivey »

I had new towers had L marked on the left one,if you swap them over the 3/8 nut at the back holding the rubber mount on is then in the front facing you.The only way i can get the relay to line up,all mountings loose,push engine forward but engine mount towers are to far forward for the chassis hole,still scratching my head yet.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Do you still have the old towers to compare with the new? Have you had any welding done on the chassis legs or tie plates? If thew tower holes do not line up with the chassis holes, then something is not right. You might expect a little bit of fettling, but all four bolts on each tower should fit without any major problem.
shivey
Minor Friendly

Post by shivey »

Legs where in good condition renewed engine bay lower and one wheel arch,used the holes in the legs to position new panels,I have now reamed the holes larger allowing the towers to move forward relay shaft looks a loot better,I still think the thinner back plate would allow it to go forward a bit more but not to be on a 1098 engine,I'll show another photo in morning,I did'nt keep the old towers they were a mess,I assume as on my other Morris i've got the 3/8 nuts are to the rear of the tower thanks for replies...Glyn
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

The attached file shows the layout of the front and rear engine/gearbox mountings.

The front mounts should have the rounded edge of the large hole facing the rear. The positioning of the front mount is controlled by the 4 mounting bolts, and should not need to be enlarged, elongated or anything else.

Next are the rear mounting brackets, items 14 and 15, which are handed, and must be fitted to the correct side, as they do affect the fore and aft location of the engine/gearbox. If fitting them one way does not work, then switch them from side to side and check the effect. The rubber mounts, item 20 are not handed, and have no effect on the fore and aft location.

Many years ago I fitted a 1098 ribcase box to our 948 engine, and retained the original 948 'thin' rear mounting plate with no problems of the gearbox mounting alignment.
Engine-Gearbox Front & Rear Mtgs.jpg
Engine-Gearbox Front & Rear Mtgs.jpg (67.44 KiB) Viewed 933 times
Richard

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Richard
I agree that the rounded edge to the tower central hole the radius faces to the rear as per attached photo.
I also agree that there should be no need to enlarge/elongate the four holes in the chassis leg to accommodate moving the mount tower forward. In fact the tower should not require moving at all.

Possibly not applicable to this post but I am including for completeness:-

If you are fitting a Maestro engine with the rear crankshaft seal the engine mount towers have to be swopped over from side to side to move the engine forward to allow for the additional engine length which includes the added seal housing.
Attachments
100_1237.JPG
100_1237.JPG (291.16 KiB) Viewed 924 times