Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MKT
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Tyre size

Post by MKT »

At the moment I have 145/14 tyres on my 1968 saloon, the walls of the tyres are cracking so need to replace them all, 155/14 seem to have more choice and start at a cheaper prices, any advice would be appreciated

Regards Ron
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Tyre size

Post by geoberni »

I suggest you search for 'Tyre Size' as this has been gone over time and again. One recently revived post here for example:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39698&p=648331&hili ... ze#p648331
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Tyre size

Post by simmitc »

This one's been done to death - just use the search facility. Opinion is divided, and it is a matter of personal preference. Many years ago I had 155x14 Michelins and they were superb, easily the best tyre that I've used on a Minor. However, it was very tight sliding the spare under the boot floor. Some people think that the 155 looks a little wide for the standard rim (not saying it won't fit, just talking aesthetics). The 145 is closest to the original 5.20 crossply and the Bridgestones look good and drive really well. However, in my experience they don't seem to last very well, cracking after a few years and wire starting to pop out.

If you look in Minor Matters, there is one advertiser who offers you the chance to try a set of tyres on your car, so if you can get to their premises then that might be a really good idea before you part with your money. Hopefully we will be back to having rallies next year, and the offer might be available there if you can hang on that long.