Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mobylette
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Marina front hubs

Post by mobylette »

Is there any benefit using these Marina front hubs which apparently are a straight swap. I was thinking it would resolve the problem of the stuck on inner bearing centre?
Attachments
Front Hub.png
Front Hub.png (380.78 KiB) Viewed 448 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Marina front hubs

Post by philthehill »

Can you please enlarge on the original problem.

The Marina hubs in the link will not allow you to fit the Minor brakes etc.

There is a proper tool(s) for removing a stuck inner bearing race Pt No: 18G309 & 18G309 A. This is basically a two legged puller with a means of holding the legs hard behind the bearing. The hooks of the legs are very thin so as not to damage the seal.

The same effect can be achieved by using a suitable two legged puller with a screw clip around the jaws.
Last edited by philthehill on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Thanks Phil

I will be removing the front hubs shortly to fit longer studs to accommodate the Minator wheels I bought on the forum recently (rears already done). I have read up on this, and am aware that there can be problems with the rear inner bearing staying on the shaft, and I do need to replace the oil seals. but if these hubs wont allow retaining the standard brakes, they are a no go for me. Fingers crossed the hubs come of complete with bearings otherwise I will be back for further advice.

Picture of wheels temporarily fitted, very pleased with them.
Attachments
Minator.jpg
Minator.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 439 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Thanks for the update.
How I overcame the problems of removing a stuck Minor front inner wheel bearing was to grind the backside of the hooks on my Sykes Pickavant two legged puller so as to allow the hooks to get behind the bearing. Placed a good quality jubilee clip around the jaws to keep them in place and pulled the bearing off the stub axle. As you are going to replace the seals anyway any damage to the seals will not matter.
Good luck.

mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Both hubs came off easily complete with bearings :D , new seals and longer studs fitted and Minator wheels mounted. Been for a quick spin, feels nice and planted and steering feels no heavier although my other car is a series 2 LR :wink: