Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dudload
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Running too rich

Post by dudload »

philthehill wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:35 pm So it has got the EB weak needle fitted and is still running rich. A quandary indeed.
Indeed. Now that I've centered the needle I'll put the carb on tonight and see how it runs. Float need was a long way out from the 3mm too so could have been both acting to flood slightly
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

where was it just loose in the carb .
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

No, wasn't loose, I only noticed it on the bench after I took the jet out and it was sitting in a place that meant it must have came from inside the carb rather than to the jet (given its top hatted nature)

In any case, cleaned the sparks, reattached everything and it seems to be running leaner with no soot pouring out when bipping the throttle. I've got the seats out to sand and paint the floor so will only know after a decent drive to check the colour!

Thanks all, will report back if any further developments!
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

If I had to take a wild guess, that top hat collar must have been slid onto the jet before it was last installed, and when you took the jet out it fell off again.
That would explain the rich running, it would be just as if the choke was partially out all the time because the jet would never be able to return to its normal position.

Just a thought.

Phil