Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andymoor94
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Lowering rear to reduce gap (Series II)

Post by Andymoor94 »

So I've changed my tyres, I think they look a little dinky compared to the rear fender. So I'm going to aim to lower the rear, but would just like some advice on the matter.

I understand there are blocks you put under the axle with the U bolts, which could even be machined smaller if necessary. I also know there's a concern of the rubber stops bottoming out, so would it be wise to chop that down a little bit?

Any advice appreciated! I little bit fed up of diving head first with excitement and ruining s**t!
Attachments
20200614_155525.jpg
20200614_155525.jpg (4.12 MiB) Viewed 1203 times
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Lowering rear to reduce gap (Series II)

Post by philthehill »

You appear to have the early high wheel opening wings which accentuate the gap between tyre and wing.

There are spacer blocks - usually 1" to 1.5" deep which go between the axle seat and spring pad. You can take 3/4" off the top of the rear bump rubbers without any problems.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/rear- ... mm-p831351

Have you lowered the front?

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Just bear in mind the obvious, that by lowering it you will loose some of the Minor's excellent ground clearance.
One benefit of which is the ability to fix things under the car, without always having to jack it up for access (oil / filter changes, swapping out a duff starter motor, exhaust etc.).
As mentioned above, if you lower the back you will likely have to lower the front as well, to balance things out.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

Think yourself lucky to have the original high cut wings that's what the ser 11 should look like,believe they are still unobtainable you don't see that many with the original rear wings ,I rebuilt a 55 ser 11 some time ago and was forced to put the later low wings on just didn't look right. but each to their own as they say. good luck.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Highcut Series 2 wheel arches are now available in metal again (links below are just an example of one place you can find them), however I expect they will need fettling to fit properly, like most replacement panels from whatever source.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... ch-p828555

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... ch-p828556
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Yes low wings cut and edge rolled to high cut dimensions, Think JLH used to do the mod.got banned from here many years ago for some obscure reason,think he's still on the other site.Probably get banned myself now , :D
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

philthehill wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:29 pm You appear to have the early high wheel opening wings which accentuate the gap between tyre and wing.

There are spacer blocks - usually 1" to 1.5" deep which go between the axle seat and spring pad. You can take 3/4" off the top of the rear bump rubbers without any problems.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/rear- ... mm-p831351

Have you lowered the front?
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the that. I haven't lowered the front, and would ideally not want to, because my main aim is to remove some of the gap from the rear. Would leaving the front as is cause issues? Just a small profile, I'm not a wild driver and don't take this thing faster than 45, and that's only if someone in a Corsa revs at the traffic lights!
Eugene - My daily driver
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

All I can suggest is that you fit the spacers and see what the car looks like. At least you can remove the rear axle spacers if you do not like the look.

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

It's just a thought, but I reckon your white sidewalls amplify the effect of a very empty wheelarch. I'm sure they're on there because you like the look (so not suggesting you remove them!), but I think they are part of the reason the arches look so empty. On my SII with those wings and black tyres, the arches didn't look quite so empty. I mention it as different tyres would be simpler than lowering the rear suspension!
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

yes probably true the white tyres and red centres do tend to draw your eye to them,but as said each to their own .You say you've changed the tyres,gone to 13s by anychance When I acquired my old ser11 it had 13in tyres instead of the original 14s and it did look like a dinky toy looked much better with the originals when I replaced them, used to over rev a bit with the 13s and the speedo was a bit out as well.
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

kennatt wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:45 am yes probably true the white tyres and red centres do tend to draw your eye to them,but as said each to their own .You say you've changed the tyres,gone to 13s by anychance When I acquired my old ser11 it had 13in tyres instead of the original 14s and it did look like a dinky toy looked much better with the originals when I replaced them, used to over rev a bit with the 13s and the speedo was a bit out as well.
liammonty wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:34 am It's just a thought, but I reckon your white sidewalls amplify the effect of a very empty wheelarch. I'm sure they're on there because you like the look (so not suggesting you remove them!), but I think they are part of the reason the arches look so empty. On my SII with those wings and black tyres, the arches didn't look quite so empty. I mention it as different tyres would be simpler than lowering the rear suspension!
The tyres are 14s, the same size as what was removed from the wheels, but it is likely the whitewall that's caused the effect. Nevertheless, brand new tyres, painted and a lot of hassle getting those fitted, so in this case, I think sitting the rear lower would definitely be less hassle in this case :oops:
philthehill wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:36 am All I can suggest is that you fit the spacers and see what the car looks like. At least you can remove the rear axle spacers if you do not like the look.
Do you think it would cause any handling issues? I understand that with the car being lower at the back, would it be enough to cause drifting on the front wheels are anything like that?
Eugene - My daily driver
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I do not think that you will get any handling issues.

Fit the lowering blocks and see what happens - it is a relatively easy job to remove the blocks if you are not happy.

Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

philthehill wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:19 pm I do not think that you will get any handling issues.

Fit the lowering blocks and see what happens - it is a relatively easy job to remove the blocks if you are not happy.
Absolutely. I'll give it a whirl and will update with pictures and driving
Eugene - My daily driver
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Whilst you are poking around in the area of the axle mounts it will do no harm to examine them for rust worm as it is a rust prone area as it captures and holds crud thrown up by the wheels.
When stripped it would be a good idea to fit poly spring pads instead of the rubber items.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/rear- ... ng-p831321

Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

philthehill wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:40 pm Whilst you are poking around in the area of the axle mounts it will do no harm to examine them for rust worm as it is a rust prone area as it captures and holds crud thrown up by the wheels.
When stripped it would be a good idea to fit poly spring pads instead of the rubber items.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/rear- ... ng-p831321
Thanks for that. I'll likely be tending to a few things back there whilst it's off. Pads would be a great addition, cheers
Eugene - My daily driver
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

have a read of this viewtopic.php?f=25&t=52960&p=524428&hil ... ar#p524428
from custom forum unless you already have
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

[quote=Think JLH used to do the mod.got banned from here many years ago for some obscure reason,think he's still on the other site.Probably get banned myself now , :D
[/quote]
Yes, you’ve just reminded me of him and some sort of ban, years ago. I’ve never known why that extreme action was taken, so at the risk of hijacking this thread, what was it all about?

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

maybe the mods will answer ,or not