Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
djk3816
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

FIRST STARTUP AFTER LOCKDOWN

Post by djk3816 »

Due to lockdown I have not started/run the old Morris for nearly 4 months.Putting aside whether the battery is up to it, is there any benefit in turning over the engine with the handle(ignition off) to get some oil circulated before I even try to start on the battery ?
Any other tips/suggestions welcomed.Thanks
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Re: FIRST STARTUP AFTER LOCKDOWN

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

No, not really. You won't be able to turn it fast and long enough to move the oil to the top. But you could turn it over once or twice to see how it feels.
Moggie May
Minor Friendly

Post by Moggie May »

Hi djk , that’s just what I do! .
I’ve never had a problem but I would check the battery is fully charged.
DaveB
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Take the plugs out and turn it over on the starter till at least the oil pressure warning light goes out plus 20 seconds.
If your engine has the block oil pump priming plug - remove and prime the oil pump.
It may seem long winded but it pays dividend in the long run.

I would never start my 1380cc after being stood for some time without removing the plugs, priming the oil pump and then turning over the engine until I had good oil pressure on the oil pressure gauge. Then the plugs can refitted and the engine started.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

philthehill wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:37 pm Take the plugs out and turn it over on the starter till at least the oil pressure warning light goes out plus 20 seconds.
If your engine has the block oil pump priming plug - remove and prime the oil pump.
It may seem long winded but it pays dividend in the long run.
Phil, THE OP says its been less than four months since last running the engine. How long can you leave a car before having to undertake these precautions?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Depends upon how well you want your engine to last.

The problem is that the oil on the journals drains down and the more worn the engine the quicker that oil drains down.

Taking the compression load off the crankshaft journals helps keep the bearings safe. As I said above it may seem long winded but it does pay dividends and just short of four months I would certainly carry out the procedure I recommended and if the engine has been stood for two months I would still carryout the procedure.

Phil

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

That is interesting but I wonder how many owners who leave their cars laid up over the winter months take these precautions? I suspect that there are many owners to whom their Minor is not a 'daily driver' and only use it occasionally. We often get posts on here about cars that won't start after being laid up for a few months.....
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

In reply to the above I suspect very few.
I does not concern me regarding engines that do not start as they will eventually - but it does concern me about engines being turned over with compression after a lay up with very little or if any oil on the crankshaft journals.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I think it depends on how long the engine stands between shutdown and startup and what the engine type is like for oil draining down.

I know from personal experience* that many classic WWII aircraft with Rotary Engines (I don't know how inline engines faired), require turning over with dry pistons for some 15-20 seconds or longer before they fire up. Not a problem when they were built with expected short operational lives.

For many decades it's been a common modification for owners of such classics to have electric pre-oiler pumps, to circulate their engine oil before they crank the engines over.

* back in the '80s, I was lucky enough to get some experience working on the Catalina flying boat based at Duxford.
:wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Here is a nifty little solution to getting oil around the engine before start up.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth ... ?t=2879588

It could be connected to the oil pressure gauge take off using an adapter or if you have screwed main oil gallery plugs convert one of the plugs to take an adapter.
I have a couple of out of date fire extinguisher bottles like the one in the link - I may have a go and see what I can come up with.

djk3816
Minor Friendly

Post by djk3816 »

Thankfully car started on second pull . Battery had lost 6% over the 3 months with everything turned off. :D