Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Breather Oil Trap

Post by philthehill »

Look at Rolomorris's post above and that is very nearly off the shelf using the part listed in my link above.
So long as it is regularly cleaned then there will be no need to do the split open conversion.
It is just bolted on and can be unbolted very easily.
Here is the canister on my Minor. It is a new canister and has been fitted at an angle to clear the performance manifold and radiator pipes.
It is so simple to fit and very cheap to purchase. If you can use a spanner and hacksaw the world is your oyster.
Breather 1.JPG
Breather 1.JPG (1.6 MiB) Viewed 1803 times

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Phil

Do those have any material inside to stop the oil passing through ?

Phil P
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The canister is filled with gauze.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I've been following this Topic with idle interest... since my 1098 doesn't have one of these Oil traps.

So what advantage does this give to the 10ME engine?
If it's such a problem to maintain, what would be the effect of removing it and having the simple pipe, like my 10MA arrangement?
Just asking out of complete ignorance of engine differences. :)
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The only reason the oil separator trap is there is to comply with the then new emission controls.
Just having a straight through pipe to atmosphere means that fouling emissions go straight to the atmosphere.
The cannister is either connected to the PCV valve or the carb. Therefore any fouling emissions go back into the engine and are consumed by combustion and not allowed to escape to atmosphere.
The canister is there with the oil separator gauze inside it to ensure that only the foul emissions go to the PCV valve or carb and not oil which will upset the carb/fuel mixture and negate the ability/reason for foul emission consumption.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

What Phil said, with the added advantage of getting a higher crankcase depression and thus less oil escaping from the rear scroll seal.

Phil P
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Thanks Phil (both of you :) )
That explains why I can remember cars I had in late 70s and 80s always had a breather connection from the rocker cover to the inlet manifold. They were all Fords and Vauxhalls.
Basil the 1955 series II

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Job done

I made the bobbin a bit longer than normal so I could get the O ring below the rust hole that had gone through the side.

The visible band of the aluminium bobbin is a bit thinner than normal and the screws are round the side, so after a lick of paint it will be barely noticeable.

Considering how bad this one was, it turned out OK in the end.
Phil P
timberman2004
Minor Friendly

Post by timberman2004 »

very tidy, and many thanks Phil. Solid Club member

now i can check improvements in scroll 'seal' oil leakage

as a query, is there still a level of crankcase pressure present, even if one had perfect bores and rings?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There will always be an amount of crankcase pressure generated due to the movement of the crankshaft, conrods, pistons etc.
If the rear scroll is in good condition it can cope and not be overcome by this generated crankcase pressure.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Just in case there are still any doubters, here is the latest breather canister one of our members sent me for the modification.
It looked fine from the outside and there was no clue as to how bad it had got.

Air was still passing through it, but crucially it was not being filtered in any way, so all the oil vapour was going straight through it and back into the engine intake and burnt in the cylinders rather than being separated and running back into the sump.

Phil P
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

That member was me ! I couldn’t believe it when I saw the picture, thanks so much for cleaning all that rubbish out.
A well worth modification. I told the guy that sold me the canister, that I was getting this mod done, to which he replied ‘we just flush them through with petrol or similar’ I feel like showing him that picture!!

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Well I have just opened up a couple more for one of our members, this is what I found..........Totally blocked up with oily gunge on these two. It seems that the filter is either protected with all the oil that gets drawn in and then blocks up, or the filter rusts away completely.

This is the first one.

And the second one.

Anyone that has one of these fitted to their engine would do well to have it modified so it can be cleaned out and maintained.
I have modified around ten of these for our members so far, and not one of them was in good condition inside.
Have a look back through this thread to see how they can be modified. I can do this modification for anyone who needs it at a very reasonable cost, just send me a PM.

Phil
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

And the second one.
Ugh! :o
Was that my one?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Yes

Both of those are yours.

Phil
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Just to say I now have both of these back and Phil's done a great job.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)