Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Back Axle what's worth doing whilst it's out the car

Post by culp »

Hello! I have the back axle out of my 1970 Traveller at the moment whilst I restore the bodywork. I'm getting close to the point where I need to get the axle back in again and I was wondering what jobs are worth doing whilst it's out the car?

I've done the hub oil seals and wheel bearings. It's not noisy, it needs a good clean up and paint. There's a slight oil leak at the hub were the propellor shaft is bolted to the pinion. Is it worth splitting apart the casing and replacing the gasket? As it's not noisy I'm guessing it's not worth a full stripdown? Replace the breather?

All advice gratefully received.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Back Axle what's worth doing whilst it's out the car

Post by philthehill »

Unless you have previously changed a pinion lip seal I would recommend that you leave the pinion seal as is. If there is a collapsible spacer fitted between the pinion bearings and you over tighten the pinion nut you can squash the collapsible space and over preload the pinion bearings which may lead to the pinion bearings failing.
You may find with use that the pinion seal is ok.

culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

thanks for the feedback
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

If you have to change the seal mark the nut and do it back up to the same mark with a dab of threadlock, done it on our minor and loads of Ford english axles which use the same design over the years.

That said as Phil says if it's not too bad leave it, it's easy enough to do with the axle back on the car.