Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: blocked engine drain tap

Post by geoberni »

Edward1949 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:12 pm Enthusiastic owners over the decades constantly topping up to the filler neck have been doing the wrong thing! My Minor's level happily remains at about one inch below the filler neck.
Correct. There should be an expansion gap at the top. So long as the water/coolant is just over the vanes, leave it alone.
Basil the 1955 series II

ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by ampwhu »

ive never heard of this and it looks to be a worthwhile change.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I can't remember exactly who/where but I have read that the waterless coolant isn't really suitable for the A series engines, and that some builders (peter burgess maybe?) won't provide warrantee on engines that have been run with it
Sounds like this question may be worth a post of its own on here then, to throw it open to a wider audience than those who are simply interested in this topic.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Matt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Matt »

I've done a little google....
4 bhp more to pump the waterless coolant around. Illegal in USA racing cos flammable as is antifreeze, but antifreeze with water doesn't burn.

Specific heat capacity inferior to water, engine runs hotter, very expensive. temp not to do with thermostat but heat rejection. Thermostat controls min temp not max temp so red herring again.

Peter
Peter Burgess Tuning
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I've done a little google....

Interesting, can you post this up on the post I dedicated to the subject, thanks.
I'd like to get as many opinions on there as possible and get people talking about this, as I think it is very relevant to all of us that run classic cars.
I am not the only one who has thought of using this but forewarned is forearmed if there are issues to be considered.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)