Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jeff-d
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

clutch

Post by jeff-d »

i have had the clutch and flywheel off to replace the ring- gear on a 948 engine, they are both back on, but when i was fitting the clutch back on( its the newer type ) their are two studs that the pressure plate sits on but no matter which way i turn it i can only get one of the stud to fit , so is it the wrong pressure plate and clutch that has been fitted or is that the way the new ones fit cheers
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: clutch

Post by simmitc »

Do you mean that the holes do not line up with the studs, or that one hole is too small for the stud? Could you post a photo of the new clutch cover? Could you also post a link to the clutch that you ordered. Thanks,
jeff-d
Minor Fan

Post by jeff-d »

IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_0908.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 1188 times
IMG_0907.JPG
IMG_0907.JPG (1.5 MiB) Viewed 1188 times
IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0906.JPG (1.8 MiB) Viewed 1188 times
IMG_0905.JPG
IMG_0905.JPG (1.8 MiB) Viewed 1188 times
as you can see one of the studs is not through a hole at the bottom of the flywheel the other stud is but it looks like a new clutch and pressure plate was fitted before i bought the car. cheers
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The clutch is not standard for a 948cc engine.
The photos show a diaphragm type clutch whereas the standard 948cc clutch is of the coil spring type.
You do need to have at least two flywheel locating studs engaging with the clutch cover.
The clutch cover shown appears to have and require three flywheel locating studs so you will never get the three onto two.

What type of clutch did you order and from where?

jeff-d
Minor Fan

Post by jeff-d »

hi Phil, i did not buy the clutch and pressure plate it came already fitted the question will it be okay fitted to the 948 engine or will i need a new clutch etc. cheers
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If you retain the diaphragm clutch cover you do need to fit the two extra studs. Leave the additional unused fourth stud where it is.
The studs can be obtained from MOSS Europe and can be fitted without resorting to an engineering company if you are careful.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/dowel-clu ... soc=137921

jeff-d
Minor Fan

Post by jeff-d »

cheers for the advice Phil i will get in touch with moss Europe
jeff-d
Minor Fan

Post by jeff-d »

hi Phil, will i be able to use the clutch carbon thrust bearing i have or will i need to buy a different one i have ordered the studs from moss should be here next week are they difficult to put in cheers
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As you have a thrust plate on the clutch cover fingers you should be able to use the 948cc gearbox carbon release. I would try it and see how it works.

jeff-d
Minor Fan

Post by jeff-d »

Hi Phil i have removed the pressure plate and clutch from the flywheel today and there is no more holes in the flywheel for the studs to fix into so, should i get them drilled into the flywheel (will it affect the balance) or can i buy another pressure plate that will fit the two studs thats their now and use the clutch plate i have, the clutch that i have now is a LUK ref no 116004810 but i cant seem to find where you can buy one searched high and low but could only find that they make them cheers jeff
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As the clutch pressure plate is not standard you can still use it by drilling and fitting the extra two studs. If you use the one existing stud and centralize the pressure plate around that and you should be alright and not upset the balance.
You either use the clutch diaphragm pressure plate you have or use the original spring 948cc spring cover which will have the two stud holes for those two studs already fitted to the flywheel.
Below - This is a 948cc clutch with the 9 springs. The majority of 948cc clutch covers have 6 springs but use the same cover pressings.
clutch plate 2.jpg
clutch plate 2.jpg (124.55 KiB) Viewed 988 times
You can see the 2 clutch cover locating stud holes opposite each other.
If you can find a 9 spring cover (which was also fitted to early Triumph Spitfires and Reliant Kittens) it will compare well with the diaphragm clutch.